Beam To Post Question For A Deck... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Beam to post question for a deck...

I'm putting a 12' x 14' deck on my home. I'm wondering if a beam to post, steel bracket would be best for the corner posts or if I should notch the 6x6" post to support the 2x10 beams with a bolt thru it. If I notch the corner posts do I only need to notch the post on the load side? I thought if I notched the 6x6 post on both sides to support the load beam and non load beam it would weaken the post too much. I saw Simpson strong tie makes a right angle/corner bracket that sits on top of the post to support both beams. Is that necessary or over kill? The deck will only be less than 2' off the ground, so I'll have to attach the 2x10 beams directly to the posts. All sides of the deck will have 1 support post in between the corners.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Advertisement

Last edited by dbldee20; 06-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.
dbldee20 is offline   Reply With Quote