Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

beam/post not set in crete

After tearing down the old deck I went out front to begin hauling the joists into the back yard. I had three 4x4 posts, set on pads, that supported a 4x10 beam. When I returned to the deck the wind had blown down the post/beam construct. Whoever put the deck in had set the post holders on the pad with one 8P nail per holder. How can I set this unit in pads that are 20 years old. I am out of my depth here. Please advise. The deck material arrives Tuesday.

TA!

jp

jpmljb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:14 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

beam/post not set in crete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmljb View Post
After tearing down the old deck I went out front to begin hauling the joists into the back yard. I had three 4x4 posts, set on pads, that supported a 4x10 beam. When I returned to the deck the wind had blown down the post/beam construct. Whoever put the deck in had set the post holders on the pad with one 8P nail per holder. How can I set this unit in pads that are 20 years old. I am out of my depth here. Please advise. The deck material arrives Tuesday.
TA!
jp
My first thought is: Are the existing pads thick enough in terms of their depth to serve as proper sized footings. When we install decks on pads, because of our geographical location and frost lines, we "cut-out" the area of the pad, and install proper diameter and depth footings, and then re-poor concrete into the hole and trowel it smooth to the existing pad's surface.
Even, if you are not in a "cold-zone climate", you still should have proper footing sizes to support the full structural load of your deck (especially dead and LIVE loads).

Now, aside from that, addressing your original question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmljb View Post
How can I set this unit in pads that are 20 years old....
Instead of setting them "into" the pad footings, install them "on" the pad footings. This is the way we prefere to installl our deck posts anyways.

Here are examples of approved brackets that can be used:

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...A-ABE-ABU.html

To get more information about these type brackets, you can search the same site.
Basically: To install using approved galv. bolts: Use a hammer drill and epoxy. After epoxy dries, lock down with approved galv. bolts and washers. Look for more local building code information (requirements) regarding diameters of bolts, depth placement, etc..

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-25-2007 at 05:17 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote