DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Beam Load

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  joasis 
#1 ·
I have a basement family room, which has a single post supporting the upstairs floor rafters. This post actually supports a wooden beam, which supports the floor rafters. The room is 27' 9" long and 15' 6" wide. The support beam runs across the short way at 10' 4" from one end of the room.The floor rafters run the long way of the room.
What I would like to do is replace the present beam and post with just a beam (no post). How is such a load calculated? So I know what size and type of beam to use. (If indeed it is possible at all). It's a one story house and the beam sits under the main cental load bearing wall above. I gave this info. to a local lumber yard, and they say I need (2) beams, which are each 3 1/2" thick by 14" tall. I was thinking of using a steel beam. What's the best way to do this?

#2 ·
Since none of you "Experts" offered any suggestions, I went investigating. From a local lumbermill I got the name of a local company who builds trusses and beams. They were nice enough to send a rep. over and look at my situation. He suggested a steel beam 5 1/4" X 8 1/4" tall. To do the same thing in wood, required two laminated beams 3 1/2" thick (Each) by 14" tall. The steel cost $249, the 2 Laminated beams cost $211 each, plus they took up 6 more inches of headroom. We put in the steel, plus we replaced the end supports (Wood) with adjustable steel posts. Love my openspaces now.

#5 ·
I am in the similar situation, but I have a supporting wall instead of a post. I asked a contractor, he said it's a engineering work, it will cost thousands. Is that true?
Need more information to answer you with anything meaningful. If you've had someone qualified to do structural changes come in and look it over and give you a price, why are you asking us? Trust him or get a second opinion, but asking someone that has never seen it is silly.

#4 ·
You did the right thing. Taking the word of someone on the internet for such a structure is not advised. Anytime you make structural changes you need to have it looked over by a professional.

As far an having an engineer look over the situation, ask you local lumber yard. They can put you in contact with the factory or a rep and have it engineered for little to no additional cost in most cases.

#6 ·
I will always give a generalized answer, but as Double A implies, anything from our point is only an educated or eperienced guess. Anytime structural changes will be made, you will need on site expertise.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.