Beam For Garage Storage Loft. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Beam for garage storage loft.

Hello,
I have a 23' wide garage with a 14' flat ceiling so there is a lot of potential storage space. I would like to build a storage loft extending 8' from the back wall using 2x6 joists on hangers so as not to add height.

Is is possible to have a 23' beam without having to use a centre post? Can anyone recommend a size and type of beam that would work? Someone recommended using 4x8 lumber.

Thanks for any replies.

Advertisement

ardebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 512

Yes it can probably be done. No one here will be able to design it exactly. An engineer will need to evaluate the existing structure and size the beam and footings for you.

Advertisement

sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
Yes it can probably be done. No one here will be able to design it exactly. An engineer will need to evaluate the existing structure and size the beam and footings for you.
Thanks very much. I was hoping there might be a definitive answer as I can go online and find umpteen deck beam calculators but I take it from your reply that the construction of the garage side walls play an important part.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

23' is a big span, nothing you'll find easily online. 4x8 lumber will absolutely NOT do it, unless maybe you bolt together 6 of them, but it would still need to be speced by an engineer. Maybe the local lumberyard can calc it for using an LVL beam or Glu-Lam beam.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
23' is a big span, nothing you'll find easily online. 4x8 lumber will absolutely NOT do it, unless maybe you bolt together 6 of them, but it would still need to be speced by an engineer. Maybe the local lumberyard can calc it for using an LVL beam or Glu-Lam beam.
Thanks. I'll try to find an engineer then. I assume I should be looking for "structural engineers" when I do my search?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Actually, this can be done using the spans you can find on the International Residential codes.
I would recommend drawing a plan of what you intend to do then have it looked at and approved by your local building department.

Andy.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

edit...

Last edited by hand drive; 05-22-2012 at 09:57 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #8

How can you give bean span specs without more info? We don't know if this guy plans on storing coil stock up there or feathers. That 9.5" lvl might be enough or it might not.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
How can you give bean span specs without more info? We don't know if this guy plans on storing coil stock up there or feathers. That 9.5" lvl might be enough or it might not.
Because he doesn't care about what he says over the internet. The OP might just listen to him. This is the dangerous part of this forum. People like him just guessing at answers for structural work to be done is dangerous!!
robertcdf (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardebe View Post
Thanks. I'll try to find an engineer then. I assume I should be looking for "structural engineers" when I do my search?
You can probably use an architect or engineer. Where I'm from architects can spec beam sizes. And also where I'm from you would need permits and inspections to do what you want. Do you need them there?
Old 05-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Because he doesn't care about what he says over the internet. The OP might just listen to him. This is the dangerous part of this forum. People like him just guessing at answers for structural work to be done is dangerous!!
I guess that's the reason most people don't use their real names or any contact info. Take anonymous advice for what it's worth... nothing, listen to people who actually know what they're talking about, because they do this on a regular basis and doesn't hide behind fake names.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
get two lvl boards 24' long by 9 1/4" wide, double them up and nail like crazy to hold them together. the nail pattern is every 16" or 12" along the length of the lumber, put 4 nails at the 16" intervals, then flip the thing over and do the same nail pattern on the opposite side.

next, open up the walls on either side where the beam lands and add the beam into the wall with jack studs underneath it to hold it up and then frame the rest of your landing off of that beam.

you can add cross blocking at the height where the beam enters the wall cavity to help hold it all in place.

make a ledger that attaches to the back wall that is level with the beam and then fill in with your joists between the two.

to get beam length measure drywall to drywall and then add the wall thickness for both sides and that gives you the actual exact length.

You my friend are incorrect. 9 1/2" lvl are not enough.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #13

Quote:
On top of that. if he looked at the online LVL chart he would realize he is wrong.

Lot's of bad info on here today.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
On top of that. if he looked at the online LVL chart he would realize he is wrong.

Lot's of bad info on here today.
He couldn't care less if he's right or wrong. He sounds like a homeowner who has done a few small projects that has heard of lvl's and is just throwing out sizes.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #15

Quote:
He couldn't care less if he's right or wrong. He sounds like a homeowner who has done a few small projects that has heard of lvl's and is just throwing out sizes.

Last one I did required a 16" minimum, but it requires engineering which we can't or shouldn't do on here.

Advertisement