Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #1

Share |

Beadboard on balcony

We are building and I need to decide what to put on the walls of two very small balconies. I (think) I have attached a picture to show you what kind of exposure to the elements the balconies will have. They are about 6 x 6, with a roof, and are on the second story, but above a walkout so are really 3rd story off the ground. I don't know if that makes a difference when you are figuring wind blowing rain. They are open only on one side, which faces East. I would like to put beadboard up on the walls and ceiling, then seal it. The house is stick-built, but with timber accents and faux stone in certain places. So I need a style of wall and ceiling that will go with the style of home.

My question is...what wood-type of beadboard would you use? Beadboard comes in pine, I know, and cedar (and I'm sure lots of other types of wood, but I think these are my options). I am concerned about putting pine outside, even if it is in a rather protected environment. We've used cedar for the window trim, etc. Inside, we've used pine t&g and pine log siding. Obviously the pine is going to be less expensive. I'm just unsure of how it will weather (i.e. warp, fail in some way, have to be replaced quickly). We have painted the exterior walls and floor with elastomeric, so I'm not concerned about leaking through...mostly just concerned about the weathering. The floor will have a rubber barrier that goes 8" up the wall, under whatever we put on the walls, so that is not a concern, either.

Forgot to mention... the floor is sloped out, of course, and I live in Missouri.
Attached Thumbnails
Beadboard on balcony-dscn4666.jpg  

Last edited by Cecosugi; 09-15-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Cecosugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #2

Beadboard on balcony

Is there a better place to post this question?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #3

Beadboard on balcony

I would imagine that the cedar would weather better, but you could also look at some non-wood options. James Hardie makes their fiber cement 4*8 sheets in beadboard pattern, which would be a lot more durable.
bsperr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #4

Beadboard on balcony

Well that's an idea. I wonder if they make it in their Mahogany wood-looking color. That's what our house is. Then again, maybe I don't want to match the outside.

In any case, that's a great idea. I will look into it. Thanks.