Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #1

Share |

bdogventures

I'm starting to renovate a home and have found dry rot in the 2x4 sill plate between the first floor and second floor over my kitchen door.

There's a deck off the bedroom over the kitchen. The deck is rotting and needs to be replaced. I presume the rotting deck has allowed water to seep into the framing/sill plate.

Can the sill plate be replaced in "sections"? In other words, can I remove 4-5' of the rotten sill plate and "slip in" a new piece of 2x4? And do the same down the line until I reach good wood?

I'm not trying to cheat or not do things correctly but then again I have a lot of money to spend.

Help.

bdogventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #2

bdogventures

You can replace the plate a section at a time. Try not to insert a bunch of 2' pieces and instead go with longer pieces whenever you can.

Hint: Please title your threads with the subject of the question you're asking, not your username. People are less inclined to look at your thread if they don't know the subject.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #3

bdogventures

Thanks for responding. I'm still in demolition stage so...hopefully, the damage is not to extensive.
bdogventures is offline   Reply With Quote