Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #1

Share |

Bay Window and insulation

Hi Guys,
My house was built in 1965, and I am planning to add insulations to the exterior walls, and at the same time replace all the old windows with energy star windows.

I think I now know roughly how to do these, thanks for all the advices I have received so far from the forum members!

Now, two of the south facing windows are really big, they are about 84x42, and they are double paned, but there is no frame, they are just sort of embedded into the opening. And in the winter time I got condensations very badly on the glass.

The wife wants to have bay windows installed for these 2.

I have browsed diychatroom.com and the internet for a couple of days, and found some installation instructions, it seems to me that installing bay windows is about the same as installing regular windows, except the cable support system and bracing support under the bay window, and etc.

However, I am living in Calgary, Canada, and it can get quite cold in the winter, and I think I need to insulate the bay windows, both the top roof area and underneath the bay window seat. Insulating the roof area seems easy to do - just using pink fiber insulations, but how to insulate the bottom part?

I have not gone to home depot to see what the actual bay windows look alike, but from some of the online instructions, such as this one:
http://www.upchurchassociates.com/pd...etingpella.pdf

it seems to me the bay windows are a "whole unit" and the bottom part is not that thick - leading me to think that they are not insulated? And it seems it would be hard to attach any insulations underneath and maintain a good look.

Should I build a 2x6 frame underneath the bay window, using the same profile as the window, making an enclosure, so that I can stuff fiber insulation butts or 2-3 sheets of rigid foam boards, so that the insulations are hidden, and I can then install vinyl sidings on the frame, so that it blends with the rest of the walls?

Thanks!

Hexar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #2

Where are you located ?

Keep in mind that there is a 30% Tax Credit in the US on energy improvement expenses up to $5k
Windows must meet certain energy criteria
So 30% back on $5k = $1500 Tax credit

Right now the Tax Credit ends this year

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #3

Thanks Scuba_Dave, I have updated my profile. I am in Calgary,Alberta, Canada. There is also a rebate program in Canada, I think, it is about $1800 if I upgrade the wall with R9, otherwise $1200.

I need to have a pre work and an after work inspection, and the rebate will be based on the R-value improvement.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #4

Calgary, eh? Go Flames!

You will need to close in the space under the window where the pdf shows the knee braces and insulate there.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #5

No the bottoms are not that thick
I opted to "do away" with my bay window & extend the floor out & put in new windows
R49 over the windows in the roof, R19 in the new 2x6 wall, R30 in the floor
Its much warmer in the dining room now

Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
I have gas!

I added a 2x4 frame to the bottom of my bay window and insulated with as much foam board as I could squeeze into it. My next door neighbor didn't insulate at all and he's got drafts and a very cold window.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
Mod

A 7' x 3 1/2' single bay window needs a whole lot more than a knee brace. I'de call it a foundation and a wall.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #8

Many Bay windows are now designed with steel cables built in
They do not need any support directly under outside edge of the window(s)
Old 03-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Mod

A bay window always needs to be sitting on something and also needs something on top, a roof or more wall. Now if you are talking about a “Garden Window” that would be different, they come with a bottom and a top.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #10

Thanks guys! I appreciate the replies. Seems like I need to build a roof and "base" and insulate them!