Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathtab podium finishes - Caulking or grout

Hi there! I am new to this forum so please forgive me if i am not asking the questions right.
I am an interior decorator and i have designed a bathroom with a corner bath tub with the podium. The ceramic is in dark brown everywhere on the bath tub podium and on the floor. My contractor put a brown silicone finish at the base of the podium where it meet the floor. The silicone is obviously a different color than the grout and it shows!!! I am not happy with the result and I am wondering what would be a professional advice on how to solve this. Can we just put the grout? Can we paint the silicone? Thank you all so much in advance.

destinationhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinationhome View Post
I am an interior decorator and i have designed a bathroom...
...My contractor put a ... I am not happy with the result ...
... what would be a professional advice on how to solve this.
Did the contractor use something other than what the decorating designer specified for him to use in the application?

Quote:
Can we just put the grout? Can we paint the silicone?
What does the tub manufacturer suggest be used...
for the seal at the transition to other materials?

hth

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

It is my understanding that caulking should be used for inside corners where ceramic meets. The reason being that the grout will crack in these areas. I believe that most grout manufacturers put out matching caulking, so that it isn't extremely noticeable.

The caulking can only be painted if it is a paintable caulk. It should tell you if it is on one of the caulking tubes.

A trick that I learned on here that worked for me... Put contact cement over non-paintable caulking and let it dry. This will allow paint to stick to it.
Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Quote:
Hi there! I am new to this forum so please forgive me if i am not asking the questions right.
I am an interior decorator and i have designed a bathroom with a corner bath tub with the podium. The ceramic is in dark brown everywhere on the bath tub podium and on the floor. My contractor put a brown silicone finish at the base of the podium where it meet the floor. The silicone is obviously a different color than the grout and it shows!!! I am not happy with the result and I am wondering what would be a professional advice on how to solve this. Can we just put the grout? Can we paint the silicone? Thank you all so much in advance.
I assume in this case a "podium" is the box the tub drops into?

If 100% silicone was used it cannot be painted. I can't imagine anyone even wanting to paint caulk in such a location, that is never the way it is done.

All grouts have grout-matching color caulks available and that is what should have been used.

Was the caulk specified? If not the caulk is usually installers choice in that case.

Removing the silicone now would be a chore and could wreck any adjacent grout in perpendicular lines.

I never use 100% silicone. I have seen it ruin a lot of projects and it is next to impossible to deal with and isn't that good to begin with.

How long have you been an interior decorator?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #5

Thank you for your prompt answers!
Yes the podium is the box it drops into. Sorry I work mostly in French and I don't have the right terminology in English.
The caulking I am talking about though is not around the bath tub itself. It is at the base of the vertical surface of the box at the floor level. So it has no contact with the tub. It is the joint between the vertical (box) and the horisontal (floor) surfaces.
He used a sand caulk in this case and it doesn't match exactly. I wasn't available at the time when he did it...
Thank you for the cement tip, i will discuss it with him.
We don't want to remove it but just cover it somehow to hide the caulking. Do you think we could use a schluter trim over it?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
Yes the podium is the box it drops into.
Thank you.

Quote:
The caulking I am talking about though is not around the bath tub itself. It is at the base of the vertical surface of the box at the floor level. So it has no contact with the tub. It is the joint between the vertical (box) and the horisontal (floor) surfaces.
Got that part.

Quote:
We don't want to remove it but just cover it somehow to hide the caulking.
Not a good idea, not the way to do it.

Quote:
Do you think we could use a schluter trim over it?
No, how would you do that?

How long have you been an interior decorator?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #7

This is my first year in interior decorating. I am learning with each project and I rely a lot on the contractor's choice for building materials.
what i need probably is just ideas from people who have been in this business for years. First of all I don't know it all and second of all I have done already a lot of research and haven't come up with the answer yet. So I am just hoping that somebody has already had this situation and knows if there a way to fix it. or we'll just have to live with what we have.
thanks again.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
Tileguy

You don't have to live with anyone's mistakes on any job. That isn't fair to anyone.

So are you not is the U.S.?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
destinationhome (01-06-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #9

No. I am in quebec, canada.
Thanks for the support, i appreciate it. I have to see my clients next week and I don't know if I will be able to find a solution... Should i post another thread may be - How to match the color of the caulking to the grout - what do you think?
Old 01-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Tileguy

Only change threads when changing overall topics. Things get too confusing otherwise.

Quote:
How to match the color of the caulking to the grout - what do you think?
ALL grout manufacturers today have some means of providing customers with caulks that match their grout colors. The colored matching caulks come in both sanded and unsanded flavors. All home centers have some of the more popular colors on their shelves but anything can be ordered. Real tile stores have access to everything, it isn't at all hard to find the stuff.

So Quebec is considered Southern Canada is it not? You have a Home Depot in Quebec I think. They can get the colored caulks to match the brands of grout they sell.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #11

Great! Yes we do have Home Depot here and they are always really good at fixing things. Thanks you so much for all your help. I will go see them. As far as I understand this is our only solution. So it has to work!

The Following User Says Thank You to destinationhome For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (01-06-2012)

Tags
bath remodeling, bath tub, bathroom, grout, silicone