Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #1

Share |

Bathrrom Exhaust Fan

Hello:

I am redoing my bathroom and would like some advice on the exhasut fan. My bathroom is 5x7 with 8' ceilings. Is there a specific spot an exhaust fan needs to be placed? Should it be over the shower area? also, how long can the ducting be? This is a first floor bathroom and will be vented out the side of the house...

thanks for the help!

Matt

zephed666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
DIY staff

Bathrrom Exhaust Fan

As often as not,I'll use a fan light combination, and I install it above the tub/shower---
Kills two birds with one stone---Light where it's needed and fan right above the moisture source.

Obviously, keep the duct as short as possible--Insulate--or use insulated tubing---Pitch the pipe to drain outside---

Consider adding a fan timer---$30--well spent if it saves you a paint job in a couple of years.--Mike--

Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #3

Bathrrom Exhaust Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephed666 View Post
Hello:

I am redoing my bathroom and would like some advice on the exhasut fan. My bathroom is 5x7 with 8' ceilings. Is there a specific spot an exhaust fan needs to be placed? Should it be over the shower area? also, how long can the ducting be? This is a first floor bathroom and will be vented out the side of the house...

thanks for the help!

Matt
I position my fans in the middle of the room unless the shower is in a separate area, then I install 2 fans(in the middle of the room).
You need to look at 2 things when you run the ducting. Overall distance to an exterior exit, and the ducting configuration it takes to get there. Every 90 degree turn adds 5 linear feet to the run due to the turn. I think the instructions want you to keep it under 25 feet.
The more direct, the better it will function.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
DIY staff

Bathrrom Exhaust Fan

In a room that small the fan can go into any spot--it will do its job.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #5

Bathrrom Exhaust Fan

I've been looking at fans with a light, night light and automatic humidity sensing on. Does anyone recommend these or are against them for some reason?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #6

Bathrrom Exhaust Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephed666 View Post
I've been looking at fans with a light, night light and automatic humidity sensing on. Does anyone recommend these or are against them for some reason?
I've never put a humidity sensitve unit in, but plenty with the lights and night lights. Never had an issues with them. I always recommend using timer switches with the fans. The good fans are so quiet, you forget to turn them off and it just wastes heat that 's blown out of the house while you're at work.
I don't turn the fan on until I'm finished showering. I see no reason to create a draft in the room.
With the sensors, I don't know if you have any control to override them. Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #7

Bathrrom Exhaust Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I've never put a humidity sensitve unit in, but plenty with the lights and night lights. Never had an issues with them. I always recommend using timer switches with the fans. The good fans are so quiet, you forget to turn them off and it just wastes heat that 's blown out of the house while you're at work.
I don't turn the fan on until I'm finished showering. I see no reason to create a draft in the room.
With the sensors, I don't know if you have any control to override them. Ron
The fan with the sensor can wired wired to either work automatically or an option to allow you to shut the fan off completely. I am on the fence with the fan with the light, my original plan was to put 2 low-volt hi hats in the bathroom and a fan. One light over the shower and one over the main area. Being only 5x7 I would put the fan off center.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
DIY staff

Bathrrom Exhaust Fan

That does sound like a good plan-----To those that do install the fan/light/night light----

You need to have three power leads---if the light and fan are switched seperately--

Switched Light--- switched fan--and constant-(for the night light.)
Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #9

Bathrrom Exhaust Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
That does sound like a good plan-----To those that do install the fan/light/night light----

You need to have three power leads---if the light and fan are switched seperately--

Switched Light--- switched fan--and constant-(for the night light.)

If I use a fan without a light but with a humidity sensor and two hi-hats, I assume I can put the lights on the fan switch. Would you suggest that or should I just putting the lights on a different switch?