Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #1

Share |

bathrooms w/out windows

I just bought a house which is under construction - 4 BAs, and only the master bath has windows! Two of the baths are interior baths, but the third is located to the rear and side of the house - it's just that the architect did not bother to add windows. All the BA's have good ventilation fans. My question: aesthetics aside, do y'all see any other problem w/ this setup? I am concerned about ventilation, but again, there is a good fan (the exhaust duct is all of 3 feet!). Also, there are 2 doors, as the BA serves 2 adjoining bedrooms.

Burat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
weekend warrior

bathrooms w/out windows

see this thread i started the other day...
http://diychatroom.com/showthread.php?t=9285

johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:06 AM   #3

bathrooms w/out windows

Thanks. In our situation, the window would NOT be going over the shower area. However, because we are now at the sheetrocking stage, the builder does not want to do anything to delay construction.
I was wondering whether it's worth it now to push for the window to be added, as there is a bit of difficulty in placing it. It would either go over a 6 ft vanity, or above the toilet (can only fit a 17 in casement).
It's gotten to the point where I'm tempted to just say forget it, as it seems to be more trouble than it's worth (they'd have to redo the outside siding, etc.)
Burat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #4

bathrooms w/out windows

Certainly it would add work and expense to add it at this point. However, it will be considerably harder to add it AFTER construction is completed. So if you think it might bother you down the road, do it now, even though it'll be a little work.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Home Improvement Guy

bathrooms w/out windows

Make sure you have 1/2" gap at the bottom of the door. This enables the bathroom to breath while the door is closed and the fan is on.
ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote