Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Window / shower

Hey All,

The pic I'm posting is of the bathroom window in my kid's bathroom. Just to give you a general idea of the layout - I took the pic while standing in the doorway. The Bathtub is currently against the right wall and the toilet is against the back wall under the window. This design is awful and drives me crazy. The tub should really be against the back wall. This bathroom needs a remodel and I can figure out everything except what to do with that window against the back wall. If I turn the tub 90 degrees so it is against the back wall, what can I do with that window? It's a wood window, wood trim - and that doesn't go to well with water. Any ideas?? Can I change the window to a vinyl window, build the wall out so I can run marble trim around the window while basically creating a shelf? Any ideas??? I have a contractor that is going to do most of the work but I would like to get as much info as possible to make sure this is done right..

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Window / shower-bathroom-picture.jpg  

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
DIY staff

Bathroom Window / shower

Window in a shower are a pain---Glass block window is one solution--that sometimes look funny on the outside of the house.

A good vinyl window--well waterproofed and tiled in works---needs to be frosted glass.--code and common sense may require tempered glass--best to check on that----Mike--

Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #3

Bathroom Window / shower

Thanks for the reply - I was thinking of maybe installing a smaller window - higher in that opening - so less water would hit the window. Only issue then becomes matching that vinyl siding. It's white Vinyl siding on the back of my house - so hopefully after some "weathering" it should blend in ok...

I was planning on using Vinyl window, tempered glass, frosted of course, anyone know of any manuf. that make "better" windows for this specific application?

Thanks again
Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #4

Bathroom Window / shower

I would steer away from this, although I've done it myself for others. I swear by Marvin integrity fg windows over vinyl. Since you're tiling, make sure the inner sill has an exaggerated slope to it. You could even use one piece marble for the sill.
If you go with a smaller window, remove a piece of siding from an inconspicuous part of the house and put it in that spot. Sidiing usually has a number stamped on it so you could buy a new piece that matches.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #5

Bathroom Window / shower

thanks - good idea about taking a piece of siding from someplace else - around the deck in the backyard I have some areas that no one sees that might work well for that. I'll look into those Marvin windows. I'll also look to put the window as high up in the opening as possible and thankfully, my kids are still young - still taking baths - so when they start showering we'll keep that head low =)

thanks for the advice.