Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom walls

I'm in the process of putting up walls in my new basement bathroom. There will be a tiled shower, the rest of the walls will be paint. Please tell me if I have the process right:

Shower walls will be DuRock coated with Redgard (or is tile backer the thing to use in a shower). The rest of the walls and ceiling will be DensShield painted with mold inhibiting paint.

Is there more I need to do or a better product to use?

Last edited by Joe F; 06-12-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Joe F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #2

Bathroom walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
I'm in the process of putting up walls in my new basement bathroom. There will be a tiled shower, the rest of the walls will be paint. Please tell me if I have the process right:

Shower walls will be DuRock coated with Redgard (or is tile backer the thing to use in a shower). The rest of the walls and ceiling will be DensShield painted with mold inhibiting paint.

Is there more I need to do or a better product to use?
The products you mentioned for the shower are used interchangeably. Redguard is mentioned quite a bit as a waterproofing barrier. I've used kerdi myself a few times in the last year. Can't really say one is better then the other. Both are supposed to do the job.
What thickness cement board did you use? Hopefully 1/2".
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #3

Bathroom walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
What thickness cement board did you use? Hopefully 1/2".
I probably mispoke. By "in the process" I mean I'm getting ready to start the walls. Haven't put anything up yet. I also saw a backer called Fiberock that looks to be the same as DenShield. Do you put Redgard or Kerdi over these too?
Old 06-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #4

Bathroom walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
I probably mispoke. By "in the process" I mean I'm getting ready to start the walls. Haven't put anything up yet. I also saw a backer called Fiberock that looks to be the same as DenShield. Do you put Redgard or Kerdi over these too?
The only backer I use is cement board with kerdi. Never heard of Fiberock. I'll check on it,just out of curiosity.
Ron
Seems similiar to hardiboard.

Last edited by Ron6519; 06-12-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #5

Bathroom walls

Cement backerboard is a good traditional way of doing things. Redguard is ok, Kerdi is great. Either will work just fine. Don't forget to fill the seams with thinset and tape them with backerboard mesh tape....Very important step that DIYers often overlook. In the rest of the room there's no reason you can't use good old green board.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #6

Bathroom walls

One is cement board, which wicks water like a sponge. One is gypsum based, which disintegrates in water. One relies on the installer to get the thickness correct, the other is fiberglass mat protected. One needs a vapor barrier behind it, one doesn't.

Scroll down to "Interior coverings": http://www.panhandleinsulation.com/b...materials.html

Compare them, read the bottom lines: http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/backe...rison-half.pdf Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:49 AM   #7

Bathroom walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Cement backerboard is a good traditional way of doing things. Redguard is ok, Kerdi is great. Either will work just fine. Don't forget to fill the seams with thinset and tape them with backerboard mesh tape....Very important step that DIYers often overlook. In the rest of the room there's no reason you can't use good old green board.
Thanks KC. Is green board OK to use for the ceiling in the shower area?

I just noticed your sig. I know an electrician that always says "the code is the worst job you can do and get away with it"