Bathroom Vent Flap Making A Lot Of Noise When Windy - Took Video - Suggestions? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lenaitch

Old 02-08-2017, 06:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Bathroom vent flap making a lot of noise when windy - took video - suggestions?

Hello,
All of the vents in the bathrooms of the entire house make a lot of noise when its windy outside, which is supposedly very common.

However, this noise echoes throughout the entire house, and I definitely can't get used to the sound, so I want to come up with a solution.

Here is a video of where the noise is coming from: All I did was remove the vent fan in the bathroom to expose this:
https://goo.gl/photos/rCi3wFULUQeRbGh7A

What do you think might be a good way to quiet this thing down? I was thinking of adding a small weight to the bottom of the vent flap (sandwhich a magnet to it?) to maybe try and hold it down better, but I am not sure. Whatever I try, it can't be held down too much or it won't open when I turn the vent fan on.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Advertisement

Mahonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 14,026

Re: Bathroom vent flap making a lot of noise when windy - took video - suggestions?

Post some picture of how it's vented out the roof.
This is not a common as you suggested.

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 810

Re: Bathroom vent flap making a lot of noise when windy - took video - suggestions?

On the roof, you need to replace the caps. Broan or such make good quality caps with rubber foam seal around the door. First check the box stores at least to get a feel for what is good quality. Most important is the door and rubber foam (cheap foam will not work) that is flat and makes a good seal. Next is strong steel mesh outside that will keep out mice and such. If not the box stores, check amazon and you can return if door is not flat. Call it defective. Since roof caps have down closing doors (vs wall caps that close to the side), and bath fans are not high power, weights on these doors will prevent proper ventilation.
If I had the choice, I'd put them on the wall using same good quality steel caps.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Post some picture of how it's vented out the roof.
This is not a common as you suggested.
I uploaded 2 photos showing how its vented outside. I believe the vents to be the shiny silver boxy ones:

This is a brand new house by the way, build was completed like 2 months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom vent flap making a lot of noise when windy - took video - suggestions?-20170209_080829.jpg   Bathroom vent flap making a lot of noise when windy - took video - suggestions?-20170209_080810.jpg  
Old 02-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,062

Not familiar with those caps but others probably are and can provide more information..

Barring that the next step would be going on the roof and checking if these all have dampers to prevent the draft you seem to be experiencing.. Essentially when the bathroom fan is not in use the dampers should be shut to prevent any air from blowing in from the outside... Odds are that they either do not have them or they are defective..
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #6
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,998

If the build is that new, contact the builder/developer and run the problem by them. Any dinking you do will likely negate anything they might have been willing to do.
Msradell likes this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:49 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 810

If the pvc pipe on the wall is for radon, it is not draining to sewer. It is buried under your slab and draining into it. I would put another 1/8 or more bend at the end.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
If the pvc pipe on the wall is for radon, it is not draining to sewer. It is buried under your slab and draining into it. I would put another 1/8 or more bend at the end.
Carpdad, I am not sure what you are talking about...

The white pipe is for radon, this works by pumping radon gas from under the slab and out to the top of the roof. It has nothing to do with drainage, or the bathroom vent flapper sounds.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
RRH

Rewards Points: 322

Dont add a weight it will not open.

Some reason you have the outside vents in just the right place for to much wind.
I assuming they are not having this problem when the central heat is on. Doors closed to bath and a vent close by the exhaust fan.

Try this first. Lambro 1775L Inline Damper
get any brand. This one just easy for you to goggle.

Still a prob. Maybe a bad batch of the exhaust fan. So remove flapper and use an inline one.

And of course if you really have cheap fans and want an upgrade. Unplug the fan motor and delete the flapper in you fan. Then install a panasonic inline fan.

Advertisement

RRH is offline   Reply With Quote