Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

bathroom vent fan into soffit??

I'm adding a bathroom upstairs, and am trying to find a good place to vent the fart fan. The entire upstairs is a cathedral ceiling that is going to have spray foam insulation - so no roof vents. As such, the soffits are not venting into the non-existant attic space. Is it OK to vent the bathroom into the soffits? The soffits will be perforated.

thanks

red86yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

exhaust fan vents to fit the 4" ducting typical in this application are available that install to the soffit. These vents ensure the exhuast air exits external to the soffit - not into the soffit structure, which given the warm, moist air's propensity to rise would ensure wet and moldy decking and rafter tails. Ice dams would also be a concern if in a northern climate.

Does the cathedral ceiling assembly provide sufficient thickness to pipe the air to a roof penetrating vent?

Vents of both variety are available for inspection at any big box store.

rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

In some cases a roof vent is easier than a soffit vent! If you have a truss roof you will be OK! However, if you have a stick framed roof, like mine,there's little space to run the pipe between the top wall plate and the roof sheeting!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

I used soffit vent along with stick built roof, it was tight, had to flatten the pipe a little bit but it works
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Going through the soffit is fine, but the vent must terminate to outdoor air and must not be just dumped into the soffit itself.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

thanks everybody...i need to go hunt down some soffit vents that will work for me.

red86yota is offline   Reply With Quote