Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom subfloor best practice

I'm currently in the middle of a bathroom reno, and I'm at the point where I'm just about ready to lay a new plywood subfloor over the existing floor boards (50's style). I've read that pressure treated is the way to go, for bathrooms which sounds reasonable. As I've never done this before, my question is should the sub floor cover the entire floor, including underneath where the tub is going to be, or should it just butt up against the tub and leave the tub on the floor boards?

When I tore the old floor it was just up to the tub but not underneath.

Last edited by Hobb3s; 04-17-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Hobb3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
BuilderRemodeler

Cement Board is also as good choice over your subfloor.

darylbrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Absolutely no need to use treated plywood for the subfloor. In years of inspecting, I have yet to see anyone do that. Treated plywood is made with the same "exterior grade" glue that regular plywood is, and that glue will fail and cause the treated plywood to de-laminate just as fast as it will in non-treated plywood. Treated plywood is still for interior use, but is required when used up against concrete walls and floors.

Use 3/4" T&G floor sheathing and glue and screw it down. Then lay 1/2" cement backer board (wonderboard, hardiboard, etc). Then tile.

Common practice these days it to set the tub on top of the floor sheathing, and cut a hole for the trap plumbing. Actually, either way is ok. If you're replacing the tub with a fiberglass or acrylic unit, it is common to bed the tub in mortar, so you'd need the floor sheathing for that.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
weekend warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Absolutely no need to use treated plywood for the subfloor. In years of inspecting, I have yet to see anyone do that. Treated plywood is made with the same "exterior grade" glue that regular plywood is, and that glue will fail and cause the treated plywood to de-laminate just as fast as it will in non-treated plywood. Treated plywood is still for interior use, but is required when used up against concrete walls and floors.

Use 3/4" T&G floor sheathing and glue and screw it down. Then lay 1/2" cement backer board (wonderboard, hardiboard, etc). Then tile.

Common practice these days it to set the tub on top of the floor sheathing, and cut a hole for the trap plumbing. Actually, either way is ok. If you're replacing the tub with a fiberglass or acrylic unit, it is common to bed the tub in mortar, so you'd need the floor sheathing for that.
Fantastic! Thank you for the comprehensive response, very much appreciated. Yes, we are replacing the tub with a new acrylic one. Thanks again.
Hobb3s is offline   Reply With Quote