Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom shower in basement along foundation wall

I wanted to know what everyone things about how to go about this. I have the pan located in the basement the will intersect 3/4 of glass block window. I would like to keep the window but wasn't sure about going about this. The entire wall system will have 1" XPS foamBoard with a 2x4 wall with 1" gap from foam. I plan on using using 2 layers of 2" foam on lower 1/4 of stud wall and kraft faced on upper and no vapor barrior and using paperless drywall. The questions is about the window in the shower. I am going to frame it so it looks like in the pic but should I put a 30lb felt on before the durock and tile? I know that would be a double vapor barrier in that area. How do I get around sealing the window? I am going to tile the inside of the window. Do I insulate at all behind the shower wall? Should I just call it quites and cover the window? I wanted some natural light since it is a basement. Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom shower in basement along foundation wall-img_0001.jpg   bathroom shower in basement along foundation wall-img_0001a.jpg   bathroom shower in basement along foundation wall-img_0001c.jpg  

jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

bathroom shower in basement along foundation wall

First thing I would do is move the light overhead...lol. I'm sure you knew that.

But seriously; insulation behind the wall wouldn't hurt. The 30lb felt I don't feel is needed. Finally, just bring your durarock and tile right up against the window and seal with silicone, you should be fine.

This looks pretty straight forward to me.

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote