Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2011, 04:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom remodel in Chesapeake, VA

Shortest version of what I'm looking for: House jacking insight or advice for a certain project which I've taken a few pictures of after day 1 of demo work, made a slideshow of and linked in case anyone wants to see exactly what I'm talking about. Any help is greatly appreciated. Pictures of ongoing project are located here: http://video214.com/play/y0tyfdgcqBpwObmSN6dHng/s/dark

Long version: An old friend and employee of mine is expecting a kid next april and wants to renovate his only bathroom, so I offered to help. He lives 30 miles from my house, so we worked out a deal on gas...

-The water damage I'm dealing with is bad as you can see. In addition to the bathroom that I've already gutted, I agreed to redo the adjacent utility room, but another room in the front of the house is also way off grade. The bathroom runs along the same exterior wall as the others and like the others is not nearly level but it was an addition and I'm not sure how to go about jacking these rooms together. There is no sill plate holding up the bathroom and I'm sure the sill on the entire 20-25 foot length of the house needs to be replaced.

-Apparently the room's only window was as much of a culprit as corroded pipes + bad connections, although I do fault the homeowner as he's been at this house for approximately 2 years.

-The house doesn't have any stacks coming out of the roof. The only vent for plumbing can be see in one of the pictures, close to where all the pipes are tied in to each other underneath the floor. It's about 6" high off the ground...water already collects on many areas of this acre or so lot.

-I think I'm in just a little over my head, although with a tip or two on the best way to install a new sill plate and bring the floor up to grade, the rest would be cake...

-As of now, he's got water access in the kitchen but nowhere else in the 900+ square foot house. The first day of demo'ing ended around midnight. A 3 foot black snake slithered into the house and up a wall cavity and I decided to go home. Yesterday I got bitten by his dog, my first dog bite ever that drew blood. But those things didn't really bother me. What bothered me was the condition of this person's only bathroom and moreover, his guy's hygienic practices. Bid was way too low. I'm interested in hearing what others would bid, too.

mt dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
jpc
jc

Rewards Points: 158
Send a message via Yahoo to jpc

How are you and welcome, I too came to this site way over my head but as you will soon find out, you came to the right place, these guys on here know there stuff and will go to great lengths to help, although i dont have any knowlegde of jacking up a house, If i see any other question from you that i may be of help , i will chime in. I too am from chesapeake,and is mainly what grabbed my attention, good luck

jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,476

Yikes--that's a mess---Need real pictures ---you have a sill and wall that need rebuilding--

To bad the siding is up---now all jacking will need to be done from below.

All plumbing is outdated----

You are in over your head---That is a major job there---not to bad if you know what you are doing --but things must be done in the proper order---

If you 'BID' this job without knowledge you are going to loose money---how much is the only question-

More pictures----Mike-----