Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Bathroom exhaust fan help!

I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom in my old ranch-style house. Today, I removed the 1960 bathroom fan. In the process of removing it, I found that there was no vent of any kind attached to it! The exhaust was going directly into the attic (actually, it wasn't even making it that far... the exhaust hole in the fan was blocked by insulation!)

My question is this... besides cutting a hole in the roof above, do I have any options for venting the new one? Thanks!!

zrooster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Venting in to your soffit works... provided your roof has soffits. I've seen mixed opinions on it but have also heard people say "the fewer the holes in the house, the better".

I've seen it done plenty of times with no issues.

Good luck

cnda17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Buying the first round

Rewards Points: 75

First purchase a high quality exhaust fan.

My last resort is out the roof.

out the soffit or gable end with solid duct.

I'm not surprised about the existing fan venting into the attic space. It's very common with hack builders counting ever penny by hiring the cheapest labors and subs. But people get what they pay for and everyone thinks they are getting the best deal when they brag about the cheapest price.

Probably be a good idea to replace the moisture damaged insulation
Old 02-18-2011, 04:53 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies! The more I get into the guts of this house, the more I am blown away by the poor quality of workmanship that went into building it!

LIHR, why do you suggest solid duct? Would flexible dryer duct not work?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 87

It's easy to just point a finger at hack contractors or work done "on the side" (God knows there's enough of that out there making anyone doing home improvements look bad), but there are too many guys that just think they are handy when they're not. Floyd Flobbert gets that Craftsman toolset for Xmas and thinks that's all there is to it, a lot like guys that feel better tackle means they know how to fish. Could be that Floyd put in that fan and figured "Well I hear it runnin', good enough...." The internet was the crucial missing piece, a way to get feedback/ideas/doublechecking when doing work yourself.

I'm in a handied-up home, and it makes me wonder about every single element of it. I have extensive plans here but the first critical part of it is seeing what has been done ghankwise that needs undoing. You ought to check the wiring to that fan zr, see if it was "handied" in there too.
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrooster99 View Post
Thanks for the replies! The more I get into the guts of this house, the more I am blown away by the poor quality of workmanship that went into building it!

LIHR, why do you suggest solid duct? Would flexible dryer duct not work?
I can answer that if LIHR doesn't mind. If you run a thinwall rigid pipe, you won't get any sags in in that could freeze or otherwise affect the normal flow of air. Also, you should elevate the fan end of the pipe to ensure that moist air will flow down to the outlet on the exterior wall. Lastly, insulate the pipe in the attic to prevent freeze ups.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Flex duct causes turbulence and pressure to the airflow, even installed level. Industry standard; use 1 size larger with flex duct. Calls for 4", install 5" flex. I would not use it, period. http://rockwallcontrols.com/Resident...ag=air-ducting

If you run exhaust to soffit, some of the moisture will be brought back into the attic through the intake vents.....

Gary
Old 02-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #8
Buying the first round

Rewards Points: 75

Yes all of the above, Thanks guys.

Plus running a flexible brush on a snake is much easier and 100% complete. We do clean vents periodically, right?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #9

I ended up running flex duct through the soffit... while it isn't the ideal fix, it was my only option w/out going through the roof. I installed a soffit vent that only opens when air is coming out, and filled the small gap between the flex duct and the soffit hole with caulk. So far so good...