Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #1

Share |
Question

bathroom estimated costs

Hello Everybody; My husband and I are looking to buy a house,(we live in NJ) and since the ones in our price range generally havo only one bath, we were trying to figure out how much would it cost to add one, say, transforming a room into a bathroom or it could be adding it (including floors and roof) Any ideas? Thank you
XENIA
Old 08-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

bathroom estimated costs

Hi Xenia,

Although it's not clear if you're going to DIY the project or hire someone, there are a bunch of ways to try and get an estimated cost:

1. look for the free "project calculators" on the web
2. have some contractors look into and see if they can give you a budget
3. ask folks here if they have undertaken any comparable projects and have info

The last method I'll mention is contacting a professional estimator. And being that I'm mentioning this option on the boards here, along with the fact that I'm a professional estimator in NJ, I think I need to take myself out of the running for your project. I don't want to encroach upon the terms of use that Nathan put together.

But there are professional estimators out there that do exactly this sort of budgeting for people. A typical client is a commercial site owner looking to make up a capital plan for the following year, but residential work isn't that uncommon. There are home owners out there that want to have a rough idea of what a project will cost before contacting an architect or getting contractors to provide estimates. It's not for everyone, but a professional estimator is an option to consider. With that service, you should expect the estimator to offer you anything from a rough number, all the way out to material quantities with prices, labor hours, job sequencing, typical mark ups, etc, for 2 or 3 grades of finish choices, depending on how much detail you need and what information is available.

It's obviously not a free service, and its accuracy is only as good as the information available, so all avenues should be explored before making the call. And look for qualifications, like a license or a certificate or membership in a professional society. AACEI and ASPE are two that come to mind.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #3

bathroom estimated costs

Asking how much a bathroom costs is like asking how long a rope is.

Threads regarding cost estimates (and dollar figure answers to such questions) are strongly discouraged here at DIY chatroom.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #4

bathroom estimated costs

Thanks a lot for the answers, very complete; I believe it's not easy to figure out how disoriented one could be regarding construction, and I sm. So,again thank you.
and I'm sorry for the kind of question, I didn't mean to break any rules here,I was expecting someone to say you might expect to pay between $$$ and $$$ for that kind of remodeling. So, again sorry about that.

Xenia
Old 08-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #5

bathroom estimated costs

Not a problem. Welcome to the forum. When you get a house, come on back and we will help you to DIY.

Be safe, G
Old 08-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #6

bathroom estimated costs

This site is geared towards DIY
Your best bet is to get local estimates as costs do vary by area
Welcome to the site
Thanks
-Dave
Closed Thread