Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Share |
Question

bathroom door vertical positioning

the bathroom floor will be roughly 1" above the floor in the hallway: 1/2" plywood + 1/4" cementboard + tile + thinset vs. just carpet on top of subfloor outside.

so my question is how to position the door vertically? if the base of the door is level with the future level of the tile, it will be above the level of the carpet outside, i.e. there will be a 1" gap in between. if it is level with the carpet, i will have to carve the bathroom part to fit the tile.

thanks

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Well,if the carpet is existing and remaining that height is not changing. The bathroom door, if installed the way I think should be swinging inward. So this means the edge of the tile will be showing from the hall side when the door is closed. ....

The bath door will be cut to just clear the tile. All that can be done is some type of cap on the tile edge to make that exposed edge better looking. A one inch difference in floor levels in a home is not really desirable. good luck

Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #3

there is no carpet yet. there is cementboard on the bathroom side and exposed subfloor on the hallway side. i imagined to do the drywall before i set the tile and carpet. but to do that, i need to know how high to set the top of the door.

dependencies...
Old 04-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 0

I may be reading your question wrong. Where the top of the door will be is irrevelant. It should be a 6'8" door with a 82 1/2 " framed in r.o. from the subfloor approximately . It is where the bottom of door jambs are that matters.......

Knowing that everything about the door in the bathroom is going to be higher and cut later to clear the floor tile, it appears to me to set the door jamb so the carpet will cover the bottom of the jamb. Door jambs are usually set 1/2 inch above the subfloor. This allows for a 3/8 inch carpet pad and carpet that will tuck tight against the bottom of the door jamb. ...

I dont know whether you are using a pre-hung door or making a jambset on site. Either way, set the jambs so they will touch the carpet a 1/2 inch off of the subfloor. The door trim (casings) and door on the bath side can be cut at a higher level to accomadate the tile height. jmo

Last edited by Jeeps; 04-22-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeeps For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #5

i think that will do. thanks

Tags
bathroom, door