Bathroom Bump Out - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom bump out

we purchased a 1963 California Ranch style home. The Master bath is tiny, with just a stall shower, commode and single sink. We have room to expand out into the wide side yard ; no trees to remove thankfully and fairly level. I'm thinking either cantilever off the existing foundation may be the cheapest way to go, approx. 2 ft out and 8 ft long. What could I expect in costs? How about time? How would the cost increase if we were to pour footings/extend foundation? It is a stucco exterior with some wood siding currently.

Advertisement

VernonDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

bathroom bump out

If you want prices start calling around localy and get some.
The people here are from all over the world and not likly to have seen your job, know local pricing, soil conditions ECT.
I can not think or a single good reason to try and cantileaver an addition.
You would have to tare out all the flooring and reframe the bathroom you have now in order to be able to do it.
Far better to go with a full foundation.
Dealing with the stuccoed walls and trying to tie it all it to make it water tight on the outside is going to be a real pain.
Are you sure there's no way to move a wall inside the house to make the room bigger? It would be much cheaper if you can.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

bathroom bump out

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernonDIY View Post
we purchased a 1963 California Ranch style home. The Master bath is tiny, with just a stall shower, commode and single sink. We have room to expand out into the wide side yard ; no trees to remove thankfully and fairly level. I'm thinking either cantilever off the existing foundation may be the cheapest way to go, approx. 2 ft out and 8 ft long. What could I expect in costs? How about time? How would the cost increase if we were to pour footings/extend foundation? It is a stucco exterior with some wood siding currently.
Look at the first sticky above your thread and read it. What you're asking cannot be answered here or anywhere else.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

bathroom bump out

Price is a touchy subject here....

Quote:
Thank you for posting your question on the DIY Chatroom.

This is a message pertaining to your question from the helpful moderators and members here at DIYChatroom.com.

Questions involving pricing, such as – “How Much” certain projects cost (i.e. - certain repairs, renovations, square-footage pricing, an addition, a decks, etc., etc.) – cannot be properly answered simply by information posted on an internet forum (regardless of how much information is supplied in a particular post). There are many, many variables, which also involve site visit(s), existing conditions, final designs, local-rates, material preferences, inspection costs and permit fees, etc.

Pricing for materials may be determined at your local supplier(s). Prices for subcontracted work are best determined by getting legitimate local contractors to submit written estimates (3 are suggested) and always checking references.

The industry generally suggests allowing a minimum of 20% buffer, over the assumed budget, for incidentals, unexpected points, material overages, etc. (For average basic-scope projects). On the other hand, rehabs and damage-repairs - tend to be an, all together different % ++).

We encourage you to continue to post other Do It Yourself related questions on this site.

Now, you may decide to push, and continue on to ask the same question(s), however, please be aware that some members may treat your post(s) with disdain (and even irritability). Most experienced members will simply point you to this thread. The thread itself may even be closed (as it is unrelated to DIY topics).
Even if you were to find someone willing to give you a guesstimated, 'ball park' figure, there is no way to gauge such blind figures as accurate. Actual costs can vary tremendously.

An example of this type of question and it's responses may be seen here: dry wall cost

Thank You

DM
But to answer part of your question....I think it's going to cost you more to cantilever out vs pouring a slab or footing....not to mention the weight of fixtures in the bathroom.

Your in California...so you will need permits....and they are not going to approve a cantilever without engineering....stick with traditional construstion (slab or footing) and you might just get by with clean sketches.

BTW....I am doing a 2-story addition to my house right now....the upstairs cantilevers out of the 1st floor.....and only 3'. You might want to click on the link in my signature to see what is involved.....I think you are underestimating the effort.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

bathroom bump out

FWIW- It is also possible to ledger aginst the house, and install pier footings for support (in some areas & under some conditions), to create needed additional space.

As others have stated: If you want a price & time-frame, this is not something to try and answer over the internet like - Walmart price shopping and shipping time.

Get 3 local estimates, from Legit, Licensed & insured Contractors and also check references (on similar scope work) before hiring anyone.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

bathroom bump out

The rule of thumb for cantilever of a load bearing wall (which I think describes your situation) is a paltry x inches, where x is the depth of the floor joist.

Now, maybe you didn't really mean cantilever...
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 552
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

bathroom bump out

You may not be able to cantilever anyway, the existing floor joists may not be in the proper direction for that.
The existing condition of any shear wall probably would not allow for a cantilever either.
You need to start off with consulting a competent designer or design/construction firm to make plans and submit to the city or county jurisdiction in either case.

Andy.

Advertisement