Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #1

Share |

Bath exhaust venting

Attached is a photo of the vent tubing from my master bath in the attic area. Note it comes off the fan, goes up and over a cross brace and then it was looped back up and attached to the vent in the roof. When we moved here 4 years ago it was off and laying as it is in the picture. I never took the time to walk the rafters over to it and reconnect it to the roof vent. Well in Dec we had the roof replaced because of hail damage. The roofers hooked it back up when they did the roof. Today I noticed a water stain on the ceiling in the bedroom below this vent. I went up in the attic and this is what I found. The hose was off again and laying down on the insulation. My theory is either one of two things occurred. 1.) rain water blew back in the vent tube and the weight of the water pulled the tubing off the vent and spilled the water onto the ceiling below? 2.) is it possible condensation had collected in the hose causing it to pull off? (cool moist air from bathroom in the hose)3.) Was it simply the heat in the attic great enough to cause the tape to release and let it fall off?

Thoughts if you please? Should I leave it off and let the air vent into the attic? or put it back on and perhaps run some small screws into the vent (through the hose) so it can't slip off? Secondly, should I re-route that hose so it doesn't loop up over the cross brace?

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Bath exhaust venting-img_74602.jpg  

Old 07-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #2

Bath exhaust venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKy55 View Post
Attached is a photo of the vent tubing from my master bath in the attic area. Note it comes off the fan, goes up and over a cross brace and then it was looped back up and attached to the vent in the roof. When we moved here 4 years ago it was off and laying as it is in the picture. I never took the time to walk the rafters over to it and reconnect it to the roof vent. Well in Dec we had the roof replaced because of hail damage. The roofers hooked it back up when they did the roof. Today I noticed a water stain on the ceiling in the bedroom below this vent. I went up in the attic and this is what I found. The hose was off again and laying down on the insulation. My theory is either one of two things occurred. 1.) rain water blew back in the vent tube and the weight of the water pulled the tubing off the vent and spilled the water onto the ceiling below? 2.) is it possible condensation had collected in the hose causing it to pull off? (cool moist air from bathroom in the hose)3.) Was it simply the heat in the attic great enough to cause the tape to release and let it fall off?

Thoughts if you please? Should I leave it off and let the air vent into the attic? or put it back on and perhaps run some small screws into the vent (through the hose) so it can't slip off? Secondly, should I re-route that hose so it doesn't loop up over the cross brace?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Don't let it vent into the attic,get a worm drive clamp to fit the hose and reconnect to the vent,and that hose looks to be a little long,cut it to size while your at it.

Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
MikeKy55 (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #3

Bath exhaust venting

Should I re-route it? straight across and then up to the vent?
Old 07-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Bath exhaust venting

Quote:
When we moved here 4 years ago it was off and laying as it is in the picture.
Should I leave it off and let the air vent into the attic?
Vent humid and smelly air outside.
Use/add STEEL vent materials for rigidity.
Support as needed.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (07-14-2013), MikeKy55 (07-14-2013), oh'mike (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #5

Bath exhaust venting

i have drained exhaust vent pipes with 4 gallons of water before due to condensation. the hose can not have a dip in it or it gives a spot for te condensation to build up
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaydevries For This Useful Post:
MikeKy55 (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Hammerer of Thumbs

Bath exhaust venting

I haven't done Code inspections since 2008, so take this with a grain of salt cause my rememberer is a little rusty!

I believe that vent duct has to be smooth walled and needs to run directly the the roof outlet. It also must be supported. You never want a dip in your exhaust duct.
BigDon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigDon For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
DIY staff

Bath exhaust venting

Up here we need to insulate the duct to prevent excess condensation---I do not know how cold you get down there, but insulating might be wise---
Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #8

Bath exhaust venting

Would it be possible to reroute the vent through a side wall of the house? I am really not a fan of bathroom, dryer, or range hood vents that go through the roof.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #9

Bath exhaust venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Up here we need to insulate the duct to prevent excess condensation---I do not know how cold you get down there, but insulating might be wise---
Mike, I don't think we had more than a dozen days below freezing last winter. Thanks
oh'mike (07-15-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #10

Bath exhaust venting

Quote:
Mike, I don't think we had more than a dozen days below freezing last winter. Thanks
That's an easy winter but still a dozen opportunities for condensation - even a little bit of water is more than what you want in your attic space - or anywhere in the envelope for that matter. For a couple $ you can get a sleeve to cover the duct, or even replace with an insulated flex duct prepackaged, done in 5 minutes and you don't have to think about it any more.

Or better yet, as others have suggested, lose that long flex hose and go with a rigid duct - you have an easy short run to the vent and lots of space to work there - take advantage.

In my old house, even a short run of flex pipe had a dip in it, and collected enough water to start dumping back into the fan housing and onto the floor. Don't leave any low spots for moisture to collect.

Whatever you do, make sure you're not dumping that bath air into the attic.
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rtoni For This Useful Post:
MikeKy55 (07-20-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #11

Bath exhaust venting

+1 on the smooth metal ductwork and insulated sleeve. Even though you don't get much below freezing weather, you will still get condensation when the air outside is cooler than the air inside. Run it straight across and then up. Also the fan will work better with smooth wall pipe, less friction loss. Plus once you hook up the metal pipe to your roof vent, with screws, it won't fall off.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
MikeKy55 (07-20-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #12

Bath exhaust venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Would it be possible to reroute the vent through a side wall of the house? I am really not a fan of bathroom, dryer, or range hood vents that go through the roof.
+1. I did that on my current place - could have gone @ 5 feet right up to a roof vent but chose to go @ 12' across to a gable end vent instead. A bit more materials and a bit more effort (tight attic space) and a bit more pipe to push the air through, but the fan I used easily accomplishes this, and it was worth the effort IMHO. The vent works great all year. We can easily get a couple feet of or more snow on the roof in winter, add in the fact that it's often just occasional use (sometimes we're only there weekends) so the snow can build up, and the exhaust might have to plow through a lot of snow before the room is venting properly. Also it's one less thing poking through the roof deck which doesn't hurt. Not sure this matters as much to the OP down in Ky, but sometimes the end wall approach is a good idea if you have the option.

rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rtoni For This Useful Post:
MikeKy55 (07-20-2013)