Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #1

Share |

Basment block mortar joints crumbling, 40's era

I just got in from 'trying' to retuck point a few bad places on my foundation block joints.

First off,with a screwdriver and scraping a bit of loose stuff out of cracks,it ALL comes out,mostly. its just crumbly like sand with elmers glue attached.

I had mixed up a paint pan with enough to fix half dozen spots"I thought". I stuffed and stuffed the 'first' seam and ALL of the mortar just falls inside and down inside bottom blocks.

Do you put a block or filler inside 'first'?? other wise it will NEVER fill up. This block is on a house estimated to be built back in the forties,,with the extra jagged block,defined heavy, on outside edge to look like heawed concrete stone,,,about 2-3" deep texture all over.

Was wondering IF instead of trying to tuckpoint this thing,,,which would make new mortar places stick out like a sore thumb bandaid,,,whether a WHOLE foundation recovering with surewall would be better option and NOT scrapping loose mortar out too badly,to use as a backer to keep it from falling away forever???

It would take a whale of a amount of 'surewall' (to fill in those voids to be semi-smooth),,but a better stabilized end product that would look better,more like a white painted look without painting it over and over,of which blocks historicaly dont hold paint well anyway!!
Number ONE goal is a stable secure foundation,which is NOW crumbling,,No. 2 goal is to keep cold weather out(coming sooner than we want) and also tons of MEECES!!!

So long question short,tuck or surewall?? thank you for your reading and suggestions-d-

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #2

Basment block mortar joints crumbling, 40's era

NO opinions??ideas?? FIRST time I EVER saw this board speechless!!-d-

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote