Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #31
Newbie
 
zsezse4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: WV
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


Charleston hahaha

zsezse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #32
Newbie
 
zsezse4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: WV
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


wait why u need to know lol
zsezse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,518
Rewards Points: 4,152
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


If you look you will see most people add there location in there profile.
People here could be anyplace on the planet and there asking local code questions, asking how much insulation they need.
How would anyone be able to even guess with no location.
There is no one code fits all.
No one needs to know what street you live on but a state and country's nice.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #34
Ole Wood Worker
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,736
Rewards Points: 2,600
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


zsezse4 I think he may be able to help you, md2lgyk knows building.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #35
Newbie
 
zsezse4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: WV
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


Oh ok cool lol well ill put my location on my profile. If you ever need to know anything about charleston WV just send me a message!
zsezse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zsezse4 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (12-13-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,976
Rewards Points: 2,132
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
zsezse4 I think he may be able to help you, md2lgyk knows building.
Thanks for the compliment. If you're a pro, that really means something to a DIYer like me. Hell, it means a lot even if you aren't. Unfortunately for the OP, Charleston and Harpers Ferry are about as far apart in WV as you can get. Another good reason for folks to list their location.

zsezse4: Nothing sinister about asking for your location. If you lived closer, I'd invite you by to show you what a DIYer with the right skills and knowledge can do.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
BigJim (12-14-2013), oh'mike (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,967
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


Open the ones that say "PREVIEW" in the title; https://www.google.com/search?q=buil...&tbm=bks&tbo=1

Enter a different title/subject after you cover most of the previews.

I have around 100 references in my library with pages bookmarked that I link in my answers; eg. https://www.google.com/search?q=buil...&tbm=bks&tbo=1

Gary
PS. Welcome to the forums!
__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
BigJim (12-14-2013), oh'mike (12-14-2013), zsezse4 (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: 50 miles south of Albany NY
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
not stupid at all; ignorant, perhaps, but not stupid. (btw: if you know anyone who says he/she is not ignorant in some area(s), then he/she is a liar). as you see from the comments above, some folks post just to get info for God knows what, so they draw a little fire. if you are serious about building a house, it is extremely complex for a beginner and it is good that you asked. it looks easy, but there are many, many factors that need to be digested and analyzed simultaneously. take it slow, read a lot, and stop by, with a camera, every house you see being built. good luck.
Yes, I'm sure God knows.
av1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #39
Newbie
 
zsezse4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: WV
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Thanks for the compliment. If you're a pro, that really means something to a DIYer like me. Hell, it means a lot even if you aren't. Unfortunately for the OP, Charleston and Harpers Ferry are about as far apart in WV as you can get. Another good reason for folks to list their location.

zsezse4: Nothing sinister about asking for your location. If you lived closer, I'd invite you by to show you what a DIYer with the right skills and knowledge can do.
Of course you live all the way across the state lol
zsezse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #40
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,979
Rewards Points: 3,628
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


Quote:
Originally Posted by zsezse4 View Post
Of course you live all the way across the state lol

Thats what, a 2 1/2 hour drive.
__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #41
Newbie
 
zsezse4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: WV
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


Just about :< oh well nothing i can do about it. At least I know where to get started now
zsezse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #42
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,979
Rewards Points: 3,628
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


Quote:
Originally Posted by zsezse4 View Post
Just about :< oh well nothing i can do about it. At least I know where to get started now
As you read and learn. Come back and ask any questions that you may have.

Remember, common sense is more often learned, then born with.
__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
zsezse4 (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #43
Member
 
concretemasonry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Posts: 3,818
Rewards Points: 2,124
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


I took a new job. About a few weeks later, my boss told me if I built a home instead of buying one, I would be terminated because of the time required during "normal hours".

Not really a bad idea if you are looking toward the future of working. I had already modernized a 60 year old architecturally significant home was not ready to tackle a new one at that point and had got the building bug out of my system.

About 5 years later, I bought a lake lot and wanted to build a "cabin". My boss had no problem as long as it did not interfere with my job performance. Since it was 140 miles away, he allowed me to use the company pick-up (and fuel) for weekends and required that I put in my time (salaried) and got out of town by 3:00PM on Friday and got back in before 9:00AM on Monday (to avoid the usual traffic problems). Since I could do nothing (except phone calls), all I could do during the week was think about my problems/solutions. Fortunately, it made me avoid all of the usual knee-jerk decisions made while you are in the middle of a problem.

Five years later, I ended up with a 1800 sf brick and block lake home built by me, some subs and friends. I drove the well with an 75 year old local guy, put in the conduit, pulled wire and stretched romax, sweated copper pipe, framed the interior, hung sheet rock and only had to worry about 2 inspections - septic and electrical. I never saw the septic contractor or inspector, but got a large gold edged certificate for the septic on a lake shore lot and the electrical inspector approved everything and I did not tell him my 12 year old son hooked up every switch and outlet and made every connection with the correct rotation on the connectors. I did sub out the truss erection and roofing and the furnace, but did the hot water heater and pump.

If I had jumped in too quickly, I would have made many mistakes and the 2-1/2 hour drive from home to the lake and back almost every week-end was valuable to give me time to think and not allow me to do anything physically.

Just do not jump in too fast because it is a lot of time, worry, learing and physical effort.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 12-14-2013 at 04:33 PM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
zsezse4 (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #44
Newbie
 
zsezse4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: WV
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
I took a new job. About a few weeks later, my boss told me if I built a home instead of buying one, I would be terminated because of the time required during "normal hours".

Not really a bad idea if you are looking toward the future of working. I had already modernized a 60 year old architecturally significant home was not ready to tackle a new one at that point and had got the building bug out of my system.

About 5 years later, I bought a lake lot and wanted to build a "cabin". My boss had no problem as long as it did not interfere with my job performance. Since it was 140 miles away, he allowed me to use the company pick-up (and fuel) for weekends and required that I put in my time (salaried) and got out of town by 3:00PM on Friday and got back in before 9:00AM on Monday (to avoid the usual traffic problems). Since I could do nothing (except phone calls), all I could do during the week was think about my problems/solutions. Fortunately, it made me avoid all of the usual knee-jerk decisions made while you are in the middle of a problem.

Five years later, I ended up with a 1800 sf brick and block lake home built by me, some subs and friends. I drove the well with an 75 year old local guy, put in the conduit, pulled wire and stretched romax, sweated copper pipe, framed the interior, hung sheet rock and only had to worry about 2 inspections - septic and electrical. I never saw the septic contractor or inspector, but got a large gold edged certificate for the septic on a lake shore lot and the electrical inspector approved everything and I did not tell him my 12 year old son hooked up every switch and outlet and made every connection with the correct rotation on the connectors. I did sub out the truss erection and roofing and the furnace, but did the hot water heater and pump.

If I had jumped in too quickly, I would have made many mistakes and the 2-1/2 hour drive from home to the lake and back almost every week-end was valuable to give me time to think and not allow me to do anything physically.

Just do not jump in too fast because it is a lot of time, worry, learing and physical effort.

Dick
Wonderful story like i said it will be years before i actually attempt to begin building a house so that's why I'm going to start learning now
zsezse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #45
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,115
Rewards Points: 2,872
Default

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?


I landed my first carpentry job about 40 years back----

When I applied for the job I asked to see the blue prints---The foreman rolled out a set of plans and handed me a scale ruler---I looked over the plans and said I'd like to help.

He told me I had the job and added," In all my years you are the first new hire that asked to see the plans."

I was surprised and replied," How are you supposed to know what you are building if you haven't seen the plans?"

Great boss---good teacher---Read,learn,get experience---and learn to read those prints!---Mike-----

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
zsezse4 (12-14-2013)
Reply

Tags
home, house construction, zse


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building a lean-to off the back of the house cocean Building & Construction 0 06-20-2010 03:27 PM
Building First House Completetly clueless :) dirtyb115 Building & Construction 5 04-19-2007 08:45 AM
Building A Stone House In An Semi-Earthquake Enviroment Silverbackman Building & Construction 12 03-28-2006 03:43 AM
building my own house mikeydude Building & Construction 7 11-09-2005 05:10 PM
Home building process wilddngy General DIY Discussions 19 04-06-2005 03:17 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.