Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basic Instruction On The Process Of Building A House?

I'm very new and interested in carpentry, does anyone know a good link or can explain to me the basic process of building a house?

Advertisement

zsezse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Easy. Foundation, walls, roof. A little trim here and there. Fill and enjoy.

I smell a troll. Not an offensive one, mind you.

Advertisement

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cortell For This Useful Post:
tony.g (12-13-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #3

I think a better question would have been does anyone have a guide to building a house?
Old 12-13-2013, 01:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

zsezse: you are kidding, right? there is no such reference, if you are serious. just start digging around for books on all the various fields involved. start with site preparation, including selecting the site. in a few years, you'll be ready.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #5

I apolagize for my stupidity
Old 12-13-2013, 02:41 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

not stupid at all; ignorant, perhaps, but not stupid. (btw: if you know anyone who says he/she is not ignorant in some area(s), then he/she is a liar). as you see from the comments above, some folks post just to get info for God knows what, so they draw a little fire. if you are serious about building a house, it is extremely complex for a beginner and it is good that you asked. it looks easy, but there are many, many factors that need to be digested and analyzed simultaneously. take it slow, read a lot, and stop by, with a camera, every house you see being built. good luck.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsezse4 View Post
I apolagize for my stupidity
No apology needed.

Hopefully, you get slightly better answers later today.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 738

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ripbooks%2C299
That's one of those questions that always makes me grin.
Can it be done sure, it's done all the time.
It take far more time and cost more then you think, near impossible to borrow the money to build it, a huge learning curve if you have never done it before.
That GC earns every penny for all his experience and contacts.
My suggestion, have someone build one for you to the dried in state and you come in and finish the inside.
Another way I've seen it done and it worked out great is they first built a two story garage with living space above it.
This would give you some place to live so your not paying for two places, a place to keep materials dry, no travel time to get to the house, allow you to build the house in stages as you can afford it, give you an idea on what your up against.
zsezse4 (12-13-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 790

If you have a good public library near by you can find extensive information on building. I bought a book written by R.J. DeCristoforo that touches on all the aspects from lot preparation to the finishing touches that gives a good overview but you will find more detail in books that cover a particular aspect such as electrical, plumbing, framing.
oh'mike (12-13-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,236

Habitat for Humanity publishes a book called "How to Build a House." Your local library may have it. It goes through the general steps in a way beginners can understand, with lots of photos. I think it would be a good place to start for somebody like you. I've worked with Habitat on several builds around the country and trust me, 99% of their volunteers know absolutely nothing about the process.

My wife and I built our house (a log home) almost entirely by ourselves. Neither of us ever worked in a building trade - I'm a retired engineer and she's an art teacher. But we have nearly 40 years of DIY experience with nine other houses. What you want to do CAN be done, but you're a long way from starting.

Do not be discouraged or driven away by the naysayers here who tell you you're crazy and could never do what you want to do. Granted, very, very few nonprofessionals actually build a house themselves, and in some places there are lots of things (electric, plumbing, etc.) an unlicensed person can't legally do. But please keep coming back with any questions you have and we'll try to answer them.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
zsezse4 (12-13-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #11

OP, riddle me this. You asked for a link on how to build a house. Instead of going to google.com and entering "how to build a house", which would give you hundreds of links in about 200 milliseconds, you created an account on a chatroom and asked people to provide you links.

Am I the only one who finds this odd/suspicious? Hence the troll comment. The scope of the question makes it even more suspicious...sort of like asking "How do I perform brain surgery?" on a medical website.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
OP, riddle me this. You asked for a link on how to build a house. Instead of going to google.com and entering "how to build a house", which would give you hundreds of links in about 200 milliseconds, you created an account on a chatroom and asked people to provide you links.

Am I the only one who finds this odd/suspicious? Hence the troll comment.

If you suspect a newer member is a Troll, don't make a post calling them a troll. Report them, that way your not insulting someone for asking a question that to them is a very valid question. The mods will check the person's post and watch to see if that person is.

The scope of the question makes it even more suspicious...sort of like asking "How do I perform brain surgery?" on a medical website.
Here at DIYCHATROOM, we prefer if people come here looking for answers instead of just using Google or some other search engine. If you don't believe me, just ask a Moderator.
Buck268 (05-06-2014), oh'mike (12-14-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #13

He may not be asking "how do I build a house" so much as just being the inquisitive type who just WANTS TO KNOW how a house is built. People do sometimes want to learn, ya know. Crazy, I know.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
zsezse4 (12-13-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post

Am I the only one who finds this odd/suspicious? Hence the troll comment. The scope of the question makes it even more suspicious...sort of like asking "How do I perform brain surgery?" on a medical website.

I prefer to ask for quality answers from people who are experianced rather than asking a website crawler that will pull up anything with the words "how to build a house" in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to zsezse4 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-14-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ripbooks%2C299
That's one of those questions that always makes me grin.
Can it be done sure, it's done all the time.
It take far more time and cost more then you think, near impossible to borrow the money to build it, a huge learning curve if you have never done it before.
That GC earns every penny for all his experience and contacts.
My suggestion, have someone build one for you to the dried in state and you come in and finish the inside.
Another way I've seen it done and it worked out great is they first built a two story garage with living space above it.
This would give you some place to live so your not paying for two places, a place to keep materials dry, no travel time to get to the house, allow you to build the house in stages as you can afford it, give you an idea on what your up against.
Its going to be many years before I build my first house, so i just wanted an expert opinion on where to start learning. Looks like ill be hitting the books!

Advertisement

Tags
home , house construction , zse