Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basic help with window and door rough framing

Hello,

This topic must have been discussed already on here, but I need some help understanding window and door framing. I have bought a bunch of used and salvaged windows and a door for a small cabin Im building, and I have no idea how to figure out their rough openings. Some of the windows are vinyl clad on the exterior, and still have some of their nailing flanges (remember these are salvaged so they have already been installed once and removed once). But some windows are "picture windows" - that is they dont open and also dont seem to have any nailing flanges. How will they be secured into the framing? How will I figure out their ROs?

And the door I have has no framing around it. Its just one piece - a door. How will this interact with the rough framing and how should I determine the RO?

Any good general sources that can answer these basic questions? Books? Videos online? People to talk to?

Thanks!

danf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,348

Good luck with trying to do it that way.
Each window will have to be trimmed and installed differantly.
Going to end up with some funky looking trim around the windows to make it work.
As far was the R/O you should be able to get away with 1/2" bigger then the window frames in both directions.
What do you plan on using for siding? Differant siding is done differant ways when installing windows.

Just a door slab is usless without a frame. If the plan is to use it for an outside door, it would be far better to just go buy a new prehung door so it will seal.
(windows with no nailing fin are called flat jams.)

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

A photo of the windows would help us guide you. Basic guidance is to hang the door in a frame first and then install it. If the "picture window" is just a sash then you need to build a frame for that also, if it has a frame you can get wide "L" brackets (http://www.fullie.co.nz/index.php?ma...roducts_id=251) that screw into the window frame and nails into the cabin's framing.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheCamper For This Useful Post:
hand drive (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf26 View Post
Hello,

This topic must have been discussed already on here, but I need some help understanding window and door framing. I have bought a bunch of used and salvaged windows and a door for a small cabin Im building, and I have no idea how to figure out their rough openings. Some of the windows are vinyl clad on the exterior, and still have some of their nailing flanges (remember these are salvaged so they have already been installed once and removed once). But some windows are "picture windows" - that is they dont open and also dont seem to have any nailing flanges. How will they be secured into the framing? How will I figure out their ROs?

And the door I have has no framing around it. Its just one piece - a door. How will this interact with the rough framing and how should I determine the RO?

Any good general sources that can answer these basic questions? Books? Videos online? People to talk to?

Thanks!

consider a door jamb kit along with a door threshold, to build the jambs for the door slab you have and don't forget door hinges too. you can build a door jamb assembly out of 1x6 as well.

What type of siding will be on the cabin? Thanks
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote