Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #1

Share |

Basemet Finish - Small problems / need advice

I am having a bit of trouble coming up with a plan for framing around a drain pipe in a future bathroom. I took it to this point (the reason it looks crooked is because I haven't set the bottom plate yet), but don't have a good plan of how to go around this pipe. There will be a vanity in front of this future wall.

I also have a quick question about what to do with duct that interferes with my door framing. The picture shows a small duct which will fit on the far side, and an end of another larger duct that cuts about 0.5 inches too low. I was contemplating a trim of 1 inch then reattach the end, which is why a hacksaw is there. I am not sure if this duct was intended to go as far as it was, and there is nothing coming off of it.

These are just a couple of things that are stalling me right now, thanks in advance.

Dave

Last edited by zaphood; 09-14-2008 at 06:13 PM.
zaphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:29 AM   #2

If you cut the pipe a foot or two above the floor and after the elbow then you ca cut a hole in the plate to fit over the pipe. Then frame your wall and cut holes in the studs to re run the pipe through it.

The duct work can be trimed back as long as there is nothing attached to it where your going to cut it.

bervin306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #3

There's no reason to cut that pipe. You can easily get by with attaching vertical blocking to the wall studs where the pipe penetrates horizontally. Cut a stud and install a piece above the pipe to the ceiling and below the pipe to the floor. Simply attach a plate to the floor to fasten sheetrock, and a plate at the top as well.

As for the duct, I'd re-think cutting it. There's a good chance you'll regret doing that unless you're really good at working with sheet metal. The hacksaw isn't the way to do it, for starters. Might be worth having an HVAC guy take a look at it.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
There's no reason to cut that pipe. You can easily get by with attaching vertical blocking to the wall studs where the pipe penetrates horizontally. Cut a stud and install a piece above the pipe to the ceiling and below the pipe to the floor. Simply attach a plate to the floor to fasten sheetrock, and a plate at the top as well.

As for the duct, I'd re-think cutting it. There's a good chance you'll regret doing that unless you're really good at working with sheet metal. The hacksaw isn't the way to do it, for starters. Might be worth having an HVAC guy take a look at it.
So although I sound like a pro, I am a bit new to this. Do you mean like this? Alternativly, I could cut that pipe and frame it as above without too much work.

As for cutting the duct, I am "balls in" on this project and will only be asking for help in the inspection (and fix the problem) process. Would it be easier to cut using dremmel, or maybe jig saw with cutting blade, or snips? I have my grandpa who is is a 86 year old carpenter coming over in a couple weeks, but I want to have as much done before then as possible as I want to use him for the bathroom.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post

Yes, absolutely no need to cut the pipe or touch the venting....

Wood blocking as KCT stated. Just install it all around the pipe and duct work, similar to what you drew out in your picture.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #6

Exactly! That was easy, wasn't it! Sometimes in bearing walls and other circumstances you have no choice but to cut the pipe, but not always.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphood View Post
As for cutting the duct, I am "balls in" on this project and will only be asking for help in the inspection (and fix the problem) process. Would it be easier to cut using dremmel, or maybe jig saw with cutting blade, or snips?
I'd go with snips for this task if you have them. There are about 5 or 6 configurations of snips, but you might be able to get it done with straight snips. The dremel might help clean it up. Whatever you do, be sure that you do a great job of sealing this duct back up or you might have some leakage and static pressure drops. Remember, duct tape isn't any good for ducts. Do it all in sheet metal and/or thermo-pan, and use foil tape or duct sealant to seal it tight.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #8

Ok, thank you all for these responses, I think this will work out. I will post an update how it goes in case you are interested. I have a new question though:

I think the original builders forgot to add room for some ductwork, and then after the fact pulled a stud out of a weight bearing wall. I may be wrong and this might be ok since I don't know everything about code, but I want to make sure I dont need to add more structure before I know if I need to fix this. Here are the pics, it looks like they pulled a stud as there are markings, and the nails are still there. If its ok, I will throw up a small box around the 6 inch pipe.

Oh, and one more small thing, this is my plan for a small closet which will go into a stoarage room through a load bearing wall:

Last edited by zaphood; 09-14-2008 at 08:49 PM.