Basement Windows - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

basement windows

I have 3 windows in my basement that has caved in do to dirt so I'm having some one come and put in window wells but the glass in the windows are broke so my question is can we replace then with cement and if so how do we go about it thank you neva

Advertisement

nevajane57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #2

basement windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevajane57 View Post
I have 3 windows in my basement that has caved in do to dirt so I'm having some one come and put in window wells but the glass in the windows are broke so my question is can we replace then with cement and if so how do we go about it thank you neva
I have a similar situation, i have some busted out windows and the things are expensive. I wondered if i could just fill them in with glass block or something instead.

I imagine that most likely basement windows are there by code, otherwise you would see a lot more houses that have no basement windows at all. I know that for new homes, you have to have an egress window for the basement if it is to be finished.

But yeah, i was wondering how many you have to have, or if you can block some in, and for ones that I would have to replace, how you replace a basement window on the cheap? Those things are expensive!

Advertisement

aeridyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

basement windows

You are not required to have windows in a basement
You are required to have a means of egress if you convert a room in the basement to a bedroom
There are very specific codes & size requirements for a basement bedroom window
Most of the "normal" basement windows will not meet that code requirement
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

basement windows

You are required per code to have a sliding glass door or a window in the basement: Light-- In habitable rooms, natural light min. 8% floor area {10% & min. 10 sq. ft.} IRC 303.1 UBC 1203.2

As Dave said all bedrooms need a window for egress and light. The bedroom egress sized window can serve the basement, but not the other way around. You still need a fixed window for light requirements for the basement. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #5

basement windows

Sorry, did not include - if the basement is not finished - then a window is not needed

Quote:

Sec. 1203.2 Light.
Guest rooms and habitable rooms within a dwelling unit or congregate residence shall be
provided with natural light by means of exterior glazed openings with an area not less than one tenth of
the floor area of such rooms with a minimum of 10 square feet.

EXCEPTIONS:
1) Rooms located in basements may have exterior glazed openings with an area not less than one
twentieth of the floor area of such rooms with a minimum of five square feet.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 07-10-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #6

basement windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Sorry, did not include - if the basement is not finished - then a window is not needed
sweet! I'm just going to glass block or shut em up entirely for the broken out ones, they are way too much to replace, 300 bucks for a basement window is highway robbery!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #7

basement windows

As long as you have a bulkhead or door leading outside from the basement
My basement windows were $50-60 each - what are you buying ???

Myself I like the windows for light

Old 07-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #8

basement windows

no idea really, lol, obviously. maybe i will just replace the windows after all.

Advertisement