Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Window Well Replacement

Hey Guys,

I'm a complete DIY newbie, and outside of a little bit of sanding, some painting, and a semester of home room at school, I'm not really one for DIY.... but that's about to change... I've just put an offer in on a house, and during the inspection it was pointed out that some of the window wells will need to be replaced due to rust over the next year or two, and then 2 others in probably the next 5 years. Considering they're near 10 years old, and in Colorado, that doesn't seem too bad, right?

The question is more around should this be my first DIY job, and if so, what sort of costs would I be looking at if I did it myself, and if not, what would I look to spend if I got someone else to do it for me ?

Any advice would be great!!! Thanks in advance!!

neogenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

Do you have a buddy/coworker/aquaintance who has done this before who you can offer a few beers to to come over and coach you through it?

Even with all the great advice you get here, you may still want someone with some know how looking over your shoulder. There is always some little thing you may not know once you dig into a project.

What type/size windows are these? Are they built into the foundation? Replace with regular windows or glass block?

B

Beepster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,320

A picture would sure help everyone out here.
If it's just those curved galvinized metal ones, all you need is a shovel.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Do you have a buddy/coworker/aquaintance who has done this before who you can offer a few beers to to come over and coach you through it?

Even with all the great advice you get here, you may still want someone with some know how looking over your shoulder. There is always some little thing you may not know once you dig into a project.

What type/size windows are these? Are they built into the foundation? Replace with regular windows or glass block?

B
Unfortunately not. The window isn't needing repair / replacement at the moment from what the inspection / house peep said, it's not even showing signs of rust at all. They're regular windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A picture would sure help everyone out here.
If it's just those curved galvinized metal ones, all you need is a shovel.
Yup, it's a curved galvinized metal one. Any suggestions on if I should replace it with a plastic one or not ?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,452

Get a shovel and get going---those are not a brain teaser to install---just old fashioned digging--

Sawing off the old screws or bolts---adding the new plastic or steel wells--Tapconing in and back filling--

No reason to hire that out unless you don't know how to operate a shovel--(or just hate digging,like me!)
Old 02-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #6

D'oh. Now I see. Window WELL. Not enough Mountain Dew yet in the system.

What Mike said.

There are options besides the curved metal one...treated timbers...stone...brick. Cruise Craigslist in your area and see if anyone has leftovers from a project they want to get rid of.

Note to self...read ALL the words.

B
The Following User Says Thank You to Beepster For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
DIY staff

I hate shovels---designed by the devil to make my life miserable---
Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #8

Quote:
D'oh. Now I see. Window WELL. Not enough Mountain Dew yet in the system.

What Mike said.

There are options besides the curved metal one...treated timbers...stone...brick. Cruise Craigslist in your area and see if anyone has leftovers from a project they want to get rid of.

Note to self...read ALL the words.

B
hahah, Mountain Dew Voltage may be a good start to your morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Get a shovel and get going---those are not a brain teaser to install---just old fashioned digging--

Sawing off the old screws or bolts---adding the new plastic or steel wells--Tapconing in and back filling--

No reason to hire that out unless you don't know how to operate a shovel--(or just hate digging,like me!)
I hate digging, maybe I can use this as an excuse to buy some tool that makes a lot of noise and throws dirt everywhere...

Quote:
I hate shovels---designed by the devil to make my life miserable---
Hahahah! I was bound to have to learn to do manual labor one day...

So this brings me to an interesting question. Would you guys just replace the window well with another galvanized one, or perhaps plastic? Or even move to something like brick, or timber?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
DIY staff

They are window wells----I wouldn't get fancy and spend big bucks there---The plastic ones are nice

If you had a rust out on galvanized I'd go that route.

Always buy quality products---but save your 'splurge' money and spent it on something you personally enjoy.

---Mike---
Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogenix View Post
So this brings me to an interesting question. Would you guys just replace the window well with another galvanized one, or perhaps plastic? Or even move to something like brick, or timber?
Where is this window located on the house (front back side)? How big is it? What is on the inside of the house where the window is?

For instance, we cut in an egree window last fall for a downstairs bedroom and are going to dig out the hole a bit to allow for more light to get in. Thinking timbers that are "stepped" outwards what either have plants or stones in. It is on the side not easily seen from the street.

B
Old 02-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #11

Quote:
They are window wells----I wouldn't get fancy and spend big bucks there---The plastic ones are nice

If you had a rust out on galvanized I'd go that route.

Always buy quality products---but save your 'splurge' money and spent it on something you personally enjoy.

---Mike---
Ah, good to know! Thanks!! Any suggestions on the best place to find plastic ones? I'm having troubles tracking them down at the CO HomeDepot's, and Lowes that I've been to?

Quote:
Where is this window located on the house (front back side)? How big is it? What is on the inside of the house where the window is?

For instance, we cut in an egree window last fall for a downstairs bedroom and are going to dig out the hole a bit to allow for more light to get in. Thinking timbers that are "stepped" outwards what either have plants or stones in. It is on the side not easily seen from the street.

B
It's on the left hand side of the house, standard size, within the dog run, so there's probably no real reason to do anything useful in the way of egress, or plants, or whatever.

In heeding the advice from our friends here, and having logic prevail, it seems smart to rather just replace it with a plastic one, or even another galvanized one (this one lasted ~10 years so far, and isn't really falling apart yet), and not do anything crazy. At worst I can always just put a cover over the well to make it look pretty at some point...

P.S. I got quoted 1400-4000 for doing this job, so I'll certainly be doing it myself.