Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Basement Window Well Replacement


Hey Guys,

I'm a complete DIY newbie, and outside of a little bit of sanding, some painting, and a semester of home room at school, I'm not really one for DIY.... but that's about to change... I've just put an offer in on a house, and during the inspection it was pointed out that some of the window wells will need to be replaced due to rust over the next year or two, and then 2 others in probably the next 5 years. Considering they're near 10 years old, and in Colorado, that doesn't seem too bad, right?

The question is more around should this be my first DIY job, and if so, what sort of costs would I be looking at if I did it myself, and if not, what would I look to spend if I got someone else to do it for me ?

Any advice would be great!!! Thanks in advance!!

neogenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 501
Rewards Points: 502
Default

Basement Window Well Replacement


Do you have a buddy/coworker/aquaintance who has done this before who you can offer a few beers to to come over and coach you through it?

Even with all the great advice you get here, you may still want someone with some know how looking over your shoulder. There is always some little thing you may not know once you dig into a project.

What type/size windows are these? Are they built into the foundation? Replace with regular windows or glass block?

B

Beepster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,101
Rewards Points: 3,320
Default

Basement Window Well Replacement


A picture would sure help everyone out here.
If it's just those curved galvinized metal ones, all you need is a shovel.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Basement Window Well Replacement


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Do you have a buddy/coworker/aquaintance who has done this before who you can offer a few beers to to come over and coach you through it?

Even with all the great advice you get here, you may still want someone with some know how looking over your shoulder. There is always some little thing you may not know once you dig into a project.

What type/size windows are these? Are they built into the foundation? Replace with regular windows or glass block?

B
Unfortunately not. The window isn't needing repair / replacement at the moment from what the inspection / house peep said, it's not even showing signs of rust at all. They're regular windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A picture would sure help everyone out here.
If it's just those curved galvinized metal ones, all you need is a shovel.
Yup, it's a curved galvinized metal one. Any suggestions on if I should replace it with a plastic one or not ?
neogenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,902
Rewards Points: 2,452
Default

Basement Window Well Replacement


Get a shovel and get going---those are not a brain teaser to install---just old fashioned digging--

Sawing off the old screws or bolts---adding the new plastic or steel wells--Tapconing in and back filling--

No reason to hire that out unless you don't know how to operate a shovel--(or just hate digging,like me!)
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 501
Rewards Points: 502
Default

Basement Window Well Replacement


D'oh. Now I see. Window WELL. Not enough Mountain Dew yet in the system.

What Mike said.

There are options besides the curved metal one...treated timbers...stone...brick. Cruise Craigslist in your area and see if anyone has leftovers from a project they want to get rid of.

Note to self...read ALL the words.

B
Beepster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beepster For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,902
Rewards Points: 2,452
Default

Basement Window Well Replacement


I hate shovels---designed by the devil to make my life miserable---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Basement Window Well Replacement


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
D'oh. Now I see. Window WELL. Not enough Mountain Dew yet in the system.

What Mike said.

There are options besides the curved metal one...treated timbers...stone...brick. Cruise Craigslist in your area and see if anyone has leftovers from a project they want to get rid of.

Note to self...read ALL the words.

B
hahah, Mountain Dew Voltage may be a good start to your morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Get a shovel and get going---those are not a brain teaser to install---just old fashioned digging--

Sawing off the old screws or bolts---adding the new plastic or steel wells--Tapconing in and back filling--

No reason to hire that out unless you don't know how to operate a shovel--(or just hate digging,like me!)
I hate digging, maybe I can use this as an excuse to buy some tool that makes a lot of noise and throws dirt everywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I hate shovels---designed by the devil to make my life miserable---
Hahahah! I was bound to have to learn to do manual labor one day...

So this brings me to an interesting question. Would you guys just replace the window well with another galvanized one, or perhaps plastic? Or even move to something like brick, or timber?
neogenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,902
Rewards Points: 2,452
Default

Basement Window Well Replacement


They are window wells----I wouldn't get fancy and spend big bucks there---The plastic ones are nice

If you had a rust out on galvanized I'd go that route.

Always buy quality products---but save your 'splurge' money and spent it on something you personally enjoy.

---Mike---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 501
Rewards Points: 502
Default

Basement Window Well Replacement


Quote:
Originally Posted by neogenix View Post
So this brings me to an interesting question. Would you guys just replace the window well with another galvanized one, or perhaps plastic? Or even move to something like brick, or timber?
Where is this window located on the house (front back side)? How big is it? What is on the inside of the house where the window is?

For instance, we cut in an egree window last fall for a downstairs bedroom and are going to dig out the hole a bit to allow for more light to get in. Thinking timbers that are "stepped" outwards what either have plants or stones in. It is on the side not easily seen from the street.

B
Beepster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Basement Window Well Replacement


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
They are window wells----I wouldn't get fancy and spend big bucks there---The plastic ones are nice

If you had a rust out on galvanized I'd go that route.

Always buy quality products---but save your 'splurge' money and spent it on something you personally enjoy.

---Mike---
Ah, good to know! Thanks!! Any suggestions on the best place to find plastic ones? I'm having troubles tracking them down at the CO HomeDepot's, and Lowes that I've been to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Where is this window located on the house (front back side)? How big is it? What is on the inside of the house where the window is?

For instance, we cut in an egree window last fall for a downstairs bedroom and are going to dig out the hole a bit to allow for more light to get in. Thinking timbers that are "stepped" outwards what either have plants or stones in. It is on the side not easily seen from the street.

B
It's on the left hand side of the house, standard size, within the dog run, so there's probably no real reason to do anything useful in the way of egress, or plants, or whatever.

In heeding the advice from our friends here, and having logic prevail, it seems smart to rather just replace it with a plastic one, or even another galvanized one (this one lasted ~10 years so far, and isn't really falling apart yet), and not do anything crazy. At worst I can always just put a cover over the well to make it look pretty at some point...

P.S. I got quoted 1400-4000 for doing this job, so I'll certainly be doing it myself.

neogenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
basement window question kossuth Windows and Doors 0 06-27-2011 06:52 AM
Installing a Replacement Vinyl window with brick mold jlatulippe Carpentry 4 06-23-2011 02:05 PM
Window Pane Replacement rjschwar Building & Construction 3 08-27-2010 07:15 AM
Last minute Tips for Window Replacement? gmhammes Remodeling 20 08-17-2010 08:09 AM
Basement Window installation topher0524 Building & Construction 6 10-04-2009 04:46 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.