Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Share |

Basement Window Trouble...

So... I decided to replace the basement windows. Since this is my first time doing windows, I feel really lost and I haven't even started. maybe that's part of the problem.

My existing windows look like this, minus the vent, but you get the picture.
http://homerepair.gregvan.com/baseme...ent_window.htm

The windows that I purchased look and are constructed identical to this:
http://bellwindowsystems.com/

My foundation walls are 8" thick poured concrete. And the new window width is also 8" thick.

My issue is that I was a bit over careful when ordering the windows and I now have a 1" clearance on all sides at my narrowest measurements. I'm just not sure how to shim and fasten them to the foundation.

Also, the fact that the construction of the new window frame is extruded vinyl (ie. box shaped profile), I'm scared to drill through it and secure with tapcon's because I feel that the material will buckle or crack when secured, let alone let water in if I made pre-drilled holes.

Any suggestions on how I should secure it into place?
Also, because I'm going to have a 1" gap all around, what kind of product should I use for the exterior trim?

Thanks,
Shaun

jalbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #2

Can you fir out w/ treated wood, small shims, and a generous glob of caulk? The treated wood would give you something to nail the trim pieces to on the inside. What does the manufacturer recommend for flashing around the outside, and for securing? It looks like one section has a steel insert; for securing the window through it?

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #3

I've tried contacting the manufacturer but they're not returning my calls.

That was my thought too, frame with 1x6 (3/4" x 5-1/2") and shim, but that leaves a hell of a gap to caulk. My experience with caulk is that it will separate with large gaps as it cures.

Not to mention that I'm still unsure how to fasten the window into place. I think the steel profile is just there for rigid support only and not intended for fastening.

I've read online some people have just mortared the window into place or used low expanding foam only and the window is quite secure. This sounds quite "Ghetto" to me, but I'm considering this as a solution. Does anyone disagree with this method?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #4

There should be instructions supplied with your windows on how to install them.

For mine they were narrower than the wall. The instructions called for 3/4" round trim inside and outside to mount the windows on 3/4" PT sill that was tapcon installed to the foundation. The top and bottom pieces were nailed and the side pieces were glued with the PL. Qaud QSI caulking was used all around between the window frame and the trim pieces. I think I had about 1/2" gap on either side and the top that the 3/4" round trim covered nicely. The trim was the vinyl type trim and also I painted it and the PT with exterior paint.

Last edited by creamaster; 08-25-2010 at 09:22 AM.
creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #5

Yeah... there were no instructions.

My windows are the same width as the foundation wall. I'm under the impression that these windows were designed to be poured in place (ie. new construction).

I just need to determine the best way to fit them into the existing window opening without screwing anything up.

Again, I've read online some people have just mortared the window into place or used low expanding foam only and the window is quite secure. This sounds quite "Ghetto" to me, but I'm considering this as a solution. Does anyone disagree with this method?
Old 08-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #6

I wouldnt use foam only to hold them in place, someone could easily kick them in and break into your house.

Since they are the same thickenss as your wall you might think about trimming out the inside and outside with vinyl 1x4 trim board that is glued, caulked, and anchored via tapcon or other mechanical method to your foundation wall, basically the same as trimming out a regular window.

Also make sure to shim your windows so they dont move side to side, then either use fiberglass insulation or low expansion foam to insulate the gaps. This way the trim holds your windows inplace, the same as mine are, they are secure against break in and the 1" gaps are covered.

Kind of along the same lines as this pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Window Trouble...-3269991256_e83c94ec70.jpg  

Last edited by creamaster; 08-25-2010 at 11:30 AM.
creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creamaster For This Useful Post:
jalbes (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #7

have someone plane some 2-by's to 7/8", then caulk.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #8

Thanks creamaster. I think that's what I'm going to do.