Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Window Replacement

I have a couple of windows in my basement that I would like to replace. The existing windows are aluminum framed sliders that were cast into the concrete when they poured the basement walls (not block/CMU basement walls). The windows are already small enough that I really can't just demo out the aluminum and frame in new rough openings. I would also like to be able to replace at least one of the windows with an approved egress-sized window. Does anyone have a method for cutting through 6-inch concrete that will produce a clean, relatively smooth opening? The saws available from the local rental stores will supposedly only cut to a depth of about 4.5-inches. I'd prefer to be able to cut from just one side so that I don't end up with an exceptionally rough opening. I'm afraid that if I end up having to cut from both sides of the wall, that's exactly what I'll end up with. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mebsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
Licensed Remodeling GC

Rewards Points: 10

hire a company to core out from the inside using a wet rail saw. You also need to excavate first so no pressure on the wall.

kevjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjob View Post
hire a company to core out from the inside using a wet rail saw. You also need to excavate first so no pressure on the wall.
This advice is correct. You will want to hire a Concrete cutting company. We have done this....Cost in our area was about $1200 to do 2 large window openings (6x4)....with us removing and disposing the cut-out slabs). As stated, you will have to do all the other prep., excavating, and additional demo work....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote