Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #1

Share |

Basement window recessed in foundation

Hey everyone. I just joined up in hopes of guiding me through my basement finishing project in which I have hit a wall (pun intended).

So, I replaced the basement windows in the existing foundation wall. I then built the new basement walls which are obviously out further than the actual window. I set the wall so the front is 12" from the foundation wall due to a lot of uneven floor space so between the distance from the front of the new wall to the front of the new window I have approx 12".

The question is, how do I finish this off. I need to run finish work from the new wall opening to the window. Also, a HUGE concern of mine is sealing off the space behind the wall. I do not want air to flow from the window behind the wall. It will basically be a big air cavity.

I also have a couple other troubled areas which I will post some pics of later.

Last edited by Freaka; 11-09-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Wrong distance. Changed from 24" to 12"
Freaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #2

Can you frame drywall returns from the new wall to the new window?

Old 11-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #3

I'm not sure how I would frame it. . I'm a complete novice. Although I shouldn't say that because so far I've framed, run wires and hung drywall basically by myself. It's the tricky stuff like this is where I stink it up.

Anyway, I suppose it's possible.
Freaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Basically, frame a window-sized rectangle and hang it from the ceiling, tight against the outside wall. Seal any irregularities with caulk. It may help to run a couple of horizontal pieces between the rectangle and your new wall. Then just cover the "tunnel" with drywall.
Tinstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #5

All you really have to do is frame off of the Pressure Treated window opening in your foudation wall to your existing wall you just built 12" away. Obviously you have to make your window opening in your newley framed wall level to the pressure treated boards around your foundation window opening. all you basically have to do after that is add nailers on the flat in from one side to the other to install your sheet rock . As for the air flow. How would you get airflow back there in the first place if everything is sealed?

Last edited by kevin211mvd; 11-09-2008 at 06:21 PM.
kevin211mvd is offline   Reply With Quote