Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #1

Share |

Basement window problem

I need to replace a leaking window well cover over a basement window. The problem is that it is located along a sloping surface (the house has a walk-out basement and the window is along the side). Because of this the window well height is not uniform and standard plastic covers don't fit.

The previous owner solved this by putting the bottom of cover INSIDE the window well, then caulking it like crazy. As a result there was an area over the cover that often had water on it. The well was full of moss and ythere were a couple of ferns thriving inside.

Any idea on how to find a proper window well cover? I know there are companies that build custom ones, but I don't even know how to measure the opening since one edge is not a straight line.

(If no one can visualize what this means I'll take a pic). Thanks!
:icon_confused:

B&Kwhippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Basement window problem

Take the measurements, and post a picture of the well.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #3

Basement window problem

Maybe the pictures will help. Basically, the window well cover doesn't fit right at the bottom. Since the window is located on a sloping surface, the height of the window is not the same at either end as it is on a diagonal plane. Make sense? (The previous owner fit the well inside the concrete lip to solve this problem but that lead to more leakage into the well). I don't know how to cut the bottom of the cover so that it fits. [ATTACH]Basement window problem-window-well2.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Basement window problem-window-well1.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #4

Basement window problem

You need to divert the water away from the window area. Covering it is a waste of time.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #5

Basement window problem

There is not a major problem with water coming in through this window, the well is just a little damp. Water runs down the concrete path in the picture but drains harmlessly into the back yard. What I need is to be able to properly install the cover.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Basement window problem

You can't install a cover on that setup. You need to measure the Window width, from the edge to the other edge. Then determine how wide you wish it to stick out from the window. Then just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and purchase the proper well. After you have done all of that, get digging and jack hammer out the concrete in the way, so you can install a new window well. Then place river rock in the bottom, and install cover if you wish.

Band-aiding what you already have, is not going to fix the problem.

Search at Lowe's.com for window wells http://www.lowes.com/pl_Window+Wells...sales_dollar|1
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 11-16-2011 at 03:05 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #7

Basement window problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&Kwhippet View Post
What I need is to be able to properly install the cover.
Window well covers have no use in my opinion, but if you want one, so be it.
Get rid of the concrete 1/2 moon stuff.
Install a metal surround that the cover will attach to.
If you want it concrete, form it and pour it so the top is flat.
All you need to do is get over retaining the thing you have to get the setup to work.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement window, water problems, window well