Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #1

Share |

Basement Window - Insulation/Replacement?

This is my first house with a basement. The 7 windows in the basement are the original single pane windows.

I'd like to replace them with something that is better insulated and secure so as to reduce the risk of someone breaking in the house via the windows.

I don't want to do blocks. I want to be able to open the windows, and remove at least one of them to get long items in/out.

What recommendations are there?
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Window - Insulation/Replacement?-img_3197.jpg  

Old 01-30-2009, 03:30 AM   #2

You will get better insulated windows with just about any replacement window with insulated glass. If you want security, get an alarm or bars on the window. There are no windows that will accomplish that task.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:44 AM   #3

While you can get high impact windows that are used in areas with coastal storms,Ron is correct for break and entry protection an alarm or security bars are a better bet.Security bars give me concern however because they can also trap you in,in an emergency
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #4

Make at least a couple of those egress windows. Hope the day never arrives you NEED them,,,but will be forever wishing you did IF so and didnt have them!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #5

As far as insulation goes you'd get a lot more bang for your buck by insulating the walls and rim joist areas. Then, if you've still got enough $ go for insulated windows too.

And I second having egress windows - check your local requirements.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by strublesiding@optonline.n View Post
Security bars give me concern however because they can also trap you in,in an emergency
A high-rise student housing building I was in decades ago had a problem with thieves smashing windows to get into units on the ground floor. To fight this they installed bars that were released by a single handle on the inside so we could escape in an emergency.

Of course any thief who knew that could have smashed the window through the bars, reached in and turned the handle. I guess they were mostly for show.

An unexpected thing happened. One thief used the bars to climb up to a second story window and rob a unit above me. Naturally that window was unlocked because they were on the second floor. I guess they walked around until they saw an open second story window and climbed on in. They had to tell people on the second floor to start locking their windows.
scowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the pointers.

Since we do plan on finishing the basement in the future, I do plan on making at least one of the windows a 2nd point of egress for safety reasons. I have a backhoe and other equipment for removing the dirt and backfilling, so the cost will just be in materials for me.

I've been trying to figure out how to insulate the rim joists. SHould I just put up styrofoam board or is there a better solution?

The basement is ~30' x 50'.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #8

I replaced 3 single pane windows, basement door & added fiberglass insulation around the rim joist. My basement temp went from 45-50 to 55-63. 1st floor is much warmer too

I plan on building windows over the basement window wells
Partially to keep leaves out, partially to add another layer of glass as insulation. No plans on finishing the basement, at some point it may become a wreck room when my son gets older
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
Thanks for the pointers.

Since we do plan on finishing the basement in the future, I do plan on making at least one of the windows a 2nd point of egress for safety reasons. I have a backhoe and other equipment for removing the dirt and backfilling, so the cost will just be in materials for me.

I've been trying to figure out how to insulate the rim joists. SHould I just put up styrofoam board or is there a better solution?

The basement is ~30' x 50'.
if your looking for an egress window try this product, I have installed about fourteen of these units over the years and never had a problem.
they also have a grill cover system that covers the well so leaves and children wont fall into the well, and light enough foe a child to lift for escape. Hope this helps. BOB
http://www.basementsystems.com/basem...indow_well.php

Last edited by buletbob; 01-30-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: install link
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 AM   #10
Learning by Doing

I just replaced 14 basement windows. After the last ones went in the basement and first floor warmed up. We selected an Atrium basement slider.

I picked to do windows before insulation because the old windows were SO leaky. Unfortunately, now my window sills look so BAD against the new windows I'm going to HAVE to paint.