DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

basement window

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Marvin Gardens 
#1 ·
Hi I Have A Basement Window A Grad Of Out Side Ground. I Think I Will Fill It In But How Would I Go Adout Doing It Rebar,cement Or What

#4 ·
You can just use a concrete ready mix for the job. You really don't need rebar for this application, but you can use it if you like.
Ron

#5 ·
Easier to dig out the ground than to cement it up and put in a smaller window.

Plus if the window is in a bedroom and is large enough you can count that as a bedroom if you ever sell your house. If you make it smaller then you might have to subtract a bedroom if you sell it. Most code has a requirement for the size of emergency access.

Think this out before you proceed.

#6 ·
Easier to dig out the ground than to cement it up and put in a smaller window.

Plus if the window is in a bedroom and is large enough you can count that as a bedroom if you ever sell your house. If you make it smaller then you might have to subtract a bedroom if you sell it. Most code has a requirement for the size of emergency access.

Think this out before you proceed.
I agree. This is what window wells are for.

Bedroom egress and natural sunlight are two reasons why larger is better when it comes to basement windows.

#9 ·
Still it is easier to just dig down a few inches than to pull all this out and cement some more in. It is not uncommon to have leaks at seams so you might have the same issue down the road. Just a few minutes with a shovel should fix this issue. Or if it's hard soil then even a few hours which would be a lot less time than the other option, not to mention a lot cheaper.

Then again I am a fan of windows. I like natural light and the vitamin D that comes with it.

Plus I have an aversion to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.