Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #1

Share |

basement waterproofing

Hi. I have a water problem in my basement on when I get a very heavy storm of like 5 inches of rain. I have a concrete block foundation with a monolith floor.

I had a national waterproofing co give me an estimate. They will basically install a drain system around the edge of the basement and drain the walls into the.piping system. I don't have a water table issue only the walls filling up. Digging up.the exterior would be a major project.

Short question. Has anyone used a drytrack type system and what's your experience or opinion of such a system?

Thnx mike

fishmanflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

basement waterproofing

If it is just a surface mounted system, do not waste the money. Something like Elmers glue thinned and spread would be just about as good. I am not familar with that specific local system, but it might approach the best way to remedy the problem from the interior.

If you don't not want to dig up your patio, sidewalks, landscaping the only choice is an internal perforated pvc pipe with drainage aggregate below, around and over that is places at or below the bottom of the footings would be best. Before filling and covering, drill holes into block cores and drain that into moisture into the drainage material to route to a sump and pump or to drain outside by gravity.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #3

basement waterproofing

Thanks for your advice. Bdry was here and the quote was steep. it seemed the design was not so that i could set up a pipping system myself to drain the walls. i am a little worried about the foundation being a monolith floor and jack hammering.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

basement waterproofing

If you saw the "monolith" slab it will not take much pounding or vibration to remove section to install an interior drain and still leave portions available to provide lateral support for the walls during construction.

You probably do not have a monolithic slab, but just a slab poured on the footing edge after the block walls were finished. - A very common construction and some codes require a basement slab to be placed against the foundation wall. with concrete block holes are just drilled or knocked out to place plastic drain tubes in. It is a very common and proven method and I did it myself on my own home. It just takes planning to get the materials in and out.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:50 AM   #5

basement waterproofing

we HATE monopours & they rare thankfully,,, as dick sez, you can only break about 1/2 of the slab because the floor IS structural,,, another disadvantage is the width of the ' thickened / drop edge ',,, this can translate into placing the collection/drainage pipe 2' ( or more ) from the wall.

' floating ' slabs are MUCH easier,,, we installed for b-dry - no different than ever-dry, gawda'mighty-dry, or knock-your-socks-off-dry systems other than a few possible tweaks.

1 possible key to ' floating slabs ' is only seeing 1/2 a block showing,,, a FULL block is more likely to be a monopour.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #6

basement waterproofing

Here's a picture of them putting drainage on our foundation. They dug it up, put a perforated pipe and a solid pipe and covered with gravel. They sprayed some sort of rubberish coating on the block, and then put a drainage mat on it. The solid pipe is for the gutter water. It was a big project.

Keeps the basement dry though

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #7

basement waterproofing

standard system,,, guess the ' rubberish coating ' was a asphalt emulsion,,, where does the collected water drain ? IF its not gravity drainage or mechanically pumped, all that's been done is create a drywell.

the ' drytrak ' is a cove system marketed by basement systems thru their many licensees - here in atlanta i believe its thru aquaguard - a good competitor,,, those extrusions are avail at much less cost to anyone thru alternative sources but don't carry the ' logo '
Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

basement waterproofing

Here's a good informative supplier/manufaturer IMO:

http://www.mtidry.com/basement/
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #9

basement waterproofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
standard system,,, guess the ' rubberish coating ' was a asphalt emulsion,,, where does the collected water drain ?

Our lot is on the side of a hill (drops about 40' in about 200' -- is that 10%?); the basement is above grade in the back. The pipe exits on a significant slope, and then it's downhill another 80 feet to the lake.

We definitely don't have any drainage problems.

I just need to make sure the end of the (two) pipes remain unobstructed and that nothing takes up residence inside.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #10

basement waterproofing

I have full rows of block starting at the floor.

The bdry sys is pretty steep in price. Doing the exterior work will be too. I have an attached garage on one side of the house. This wall is one if my water sources. I removed the interior dry wall in the basement that revealed a verticle crack. I plan to fix it.

All my gutters put water atleast twenty feet from the foundation and the soil is graded well away from the house.

I was thinking of just drilling some holes in the block and connecting them to some pvc and directing them to a sump hole. I did this near my sump and it emptied the water in that area during the last storm.
Attached Thumbnails
basement waterproofing-forumrunner_20110328_205157.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 05:11 AM   #11

basement waterproofing

b-dry will typically call back & give you a lower price ( commercial crew ran into environmental roblems, working in area, yada yada yada ) as will most other wtrproofing sales orgs,,, ' steep ' is subjective - in atl prices begin at $40lf for the typical sys + $ 1,500 for sump & pump,,, like anything else, the job is worth what the customer is willing to pay.

exterior is priced at $ 25sf complete,,, gutters & grading help but won't resolve the issue on their own,,, your method is certainly worth an attempt.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
Work Hard, Play Harder

basement waterproofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
standard system,,, guess the ' rubberish coating ' was a asphalt emulsion,,, where does the collected water drain ? IF its not gravity drainage or mechanically pumped, all that's been done is create a drywell.

the ' drytrak ' is a cove system marketed by basement systems thru their many licensees - here in atlanta i believe its thru aquaguard - a good competitor,,, those extrusions are avail at much less cost to anyone thru alternative sources but don't carry the ' logo '
I can even say that the Basement Systems rep who came to my home said that they rarely if ever recommend this. I said right to him, "You have this dry track system in this booklet here; I thought that was a gimmick", he replied "It is".

I'm having drain tile run to a new sump pump. I really like their "SuperSump" sump pump with alarm...

coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote