Basement Water Issue - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

basement water issue

Im hoping someone could help me out with this....Couple of days back we had a very heavy rainfall, we have had problems with water in our basement due to the grading of our yard in comparison to our neighbours.We have built a french drain all across our backyard and around our garden bed to divert the rain water to the storm drain a few houses away. We just recently started after the big rain we had getting a small puddle of water coming up through the basement floor...when i looked in the floor drain i noticed that we have 3 inches of water in the drain. The closest outdoor gutter running into the ground is approx 12-14 feet away from the basement floor drain. Should i be concerned with the water underneath my house and what would cause that? There is a shower that was put in prior to us buying and im not sure if that was hooked up right? In the floor drain i just felt like dirt and gravel on under the water..Our house was built in the '70s. What precautions can i do? Is the city responsible for the proper hookup for that basement drain? Im hoping to get some answers ...Thanks

Advertisement

zoolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

basement water issue

Water in that drain is most likely normal. My slab is a bit over a foot thick and when I look inside the sump pit, I sometimes see a few inches of water, which is slightly above the slab's thickness. There is a drain so any excess water goes in there.

As for the puddle that's a major issue, most likely a break in the wall's seal (tar paper I believe is what is normally used) which would require digging outside to fix properly.

As a temp fix, hydrolic cement might work if you can find the spot it's coming from.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,458

basement water issue

uncontrolled water inside a home is always a concern to most whatever the source your backyard catch drain will be a help to surface water but, unfortunately, the underground pathways down to your footer are already established,,, think of your bsmt as a ship's hull below the waterline & the resolution's much easier to understand.

1st, positive drainage from the bsmt walls above grade & downspout leader drains should be in place,,, after that, your problem may be due to either a high water table OR a false water table in that the collected rain that runs down the bsmt wall is collecting at the footer thence under it & up thru crks in the floor OR the cove ( where wall meets foundation )

not being able to look thru floors myself even tho we waterproof homes for a living, a sump & pump OR gravity drain's will usuall resolve the issue,,, doubtful the shower's a cause nor is the city responsible UNLESS the hookup was done incorrectly by a licensed contractor & approved by the city,,, in any event, i've never seen any govt agency admit to financial responsibility even if they made the error

precautions are noted above but, generally, the cure's a jackhammer, sump, & pump.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Lightbulb

basement water issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
uncontrolled water inside a home is always a concern to most whatever the source your backyard catch drain will be a help to surface water but, unfortunately, the underground pathways down to your footer are already established,,, think of your bsmt as a ship's hull below the waterline & the resolution's much easier to understand.

1st, positive drainage from the bsmt walls above grade & downspout leader drains should be in place,,, after that, your problem may be due to either a high water table OR a false water table in that the collected rain that runs down the bsmt wall is collecting at the footer thence under it & up thru crks in the floor OR the cove ( where wall meets foundation )

not being able to look thru floors myself even tho we waterproof homes for a living, a sump & pump OR gravity drain's will usuall resolve the issue,,, doubtful the shower's a cause nor is the city responsible UNLESS the hookup was done incorrectly by a licensed contractor & approved by the city,,, in any event, i've never seen any govt agency admit to financial responsibility even if they made the error

precautions are noted above but, generally, the cure's a jackhammer, sump, & pump.
Hey, it's reallyconc, can you use a bigger font. I value your responses but I have a hard time reading them! Thanks
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,458

basement water issue

red, tar paper is above grade 'back in the day' - nowadays its housewrap.

hydraulic's like putting your finger in the dike,,, it might be better than a sharp stick in the eye but the water'll just show up somewhere else still in the bsmt

the font's #1 - smallest they have - i hate reading glasses while on the computer so sit back farther. gins ( or further - never remember the difference )
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote