Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
erb

Share |

basement walls leak

I thought I had a better pic than this but anyways -
It looks like the walls have been patched with mortar in the little holes (I imagine that is where the water is seeping through). The basement is surely leaking, although I never see puddles of water, just a wet floor to the drains (I remember having it pour through during storms at another house).
Currently, I plan on using some resin/mortar to patch the holes in the walls, then paint with DryLoc. Suggestions?

There is obviously an issue outside around the house's perimeter, the water puddles.
Currently, I plan on just adding dirt around the house so the water runs away from the house. I have heard of using plastic (which I have available). Also, I need to fix the downspouts on the gutters. Suggestions?

Thanks!

http://wtfisgmail.com/stuff/DSC06941.JPG
erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #2

basement walls leak

Were it mine, I'd dig out, wash the blocks, and seal them w/ some of the various gooey sealers and cover w/ 8 or 10 mil black visqueen. Your sloping the dirt and running down spouts WAY out is right on. That in itself may solve the problem, depending on how porous the soil is. If you were thinking of sealing on the inside, I sure would not. You'll just trap the water in the block. GL. john
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
erb

basement walls leak

What you'd do sounds like the best solution. That requires extensive time/equipment/money I cannot afford atm.
I am hoping the puddles around the perimeter are a huge factor. That will make me feel better about sealing the inside.

What kind of dirt should I get? Cheap top soil?
Old 05-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #4

basement walls leak

Do your best to avoid anything porous, like sandy stuff. Ask the Dirt Yard in your area what they have for back fill. IMO, you can not make the rise to your house (dirt grade) too steep. 2" per foot does not bother me at all, and run that out 4 or 5 feet from the house, then a more gradual slope as far as you can. Dry soil does not leak or freeze to heave foundations. Over water tanks, folks sometimes install a layer of visqueen about 1' below grade, in case any water does sneak it (the fear is that water-logged dirt around an empty water tank will let the tank float; it does happen. In case you are not familiar w/ water tanks, many people use them instead of a well; 2000 gal, etc.) If you have time and the energy, digging around the foundation and goo-ing is not too expensive. It looks like you have window wells and are getting leakage there; short dig. GL. j
Old 05-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
Mod

basement walls leak

Your not going to fix it from the inside.

Why would you bring in dirt when the first step is to remove it?

I’ve done these by hand before. You can’t always get the equipment in were you need it but it still has to be done. Not to mention destroying the yard and yes it is expensive.

You would be surprised what two of the “right guys” a pick, shovel, and a couple of 5 gal buckets can get done in a day.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-27-2010 at 06:49 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #6

basement walls leak

Your going to have to dig it up. There are plastic dimpled foundation wraps that create an air space between the brick and the soil. Make sure all the surface grading runs the water away from the house. I don't know what climate zone you are in but if it is cold you can wrap the foundation with styrofoam sm to gain insulation and then put the foundation wrap over. Make sure you have proper weaping tile at or below the base of the footing. I'm not sure of this but muriatic acid may be a good thing to wash the mold away with. good luck
masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #7

basement walls leak

http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/please-help-basement-foundation-issues-72174/

chlorox & water 1:1 instead of muriatic which'll only attack the cement's lime & lead to faster block degradation

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
erb

basement walls leak

I'm not concerned about the mold, I've worked with it a lot in the past. Bleach is the cheapest.

Thanks for all the advice, I have a lot of thinking to do.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #9

basement walls leak

BTW: 10% bleach is what is used to kill ANYTHING in the medical world (for disinfecting). 50% is OK, but "overkill" (couldn't help it) and may cause damage to whatever. A teaspoon per 5 gallons of water will kill bugs, and is still safe to drink; stinky, but it won't kill you. Charge! j
Old 06-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
erb

basement walls leak

This is hard to explain...

I think the floor of the basement is leaking. I don't have my camera atm. Even then it's hard to see because the floor is black. The floor often looks damp (but it's gloss black in some spots), but I never see a trail of water leaking.

So right now, I see a small puddle of water with no visible hole in the floor. Doesn't look like it trailed from anything nearby.

I'll post pics later so you can maybe get a better idea of wtf

Anyways, I'm just thinking that my fix would be to put a sumppump down there. I've seen people do it before, seems easy forthemostpart. I would have to put it under the stairs tho, no where else.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #11

basement walls leak

Sump pumps can fail, or the electric can just go off. They are necessary for many folks, but it should be the last resort.

Making sure your gutters work properly, and drain at least six feet from the house, is much more important. Also, the grade around the house should be well-sloped, as described above. If you need to raise the grade, make sure it is "fill" that you use around the area closest to the house, NOT topsoil or mulch. Tamp it down tightly to eliminate as much porosity that you can. Remove any grass or plants that are within two feet of the foundation wall. Window wells should be covered and relatively water tight.

If during a rainstorm, water puddles closer than six feet from the house, something is still wrong. Ideally you'd like no puddles at all.

Digging all along the foundation walls is a big job, unless the house is really small.
dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
Concrete & Masonry

basement walls leak

I would not recommend "sealing" the inside at all. You will not win this battle in the long run, & more than likely create more long term damage.

For now, at least fix the exterior grade as others have stated.

The basement floor issues sound like a sure-tell sign that you have high gground water under the floor. Unfortunately, it takes a fairly in-depth, onsite inspection, usually accompanied by some actual testing, to troubleshoot a situation like this accurately. The web won't be much help I'm affraid.

Most importantly, realize that you may need to budget for a future substantial repair to the exterior of the foundation.

Good Luck.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
erb

basement walls leak

I'm just gonna dig a hole. It'll be fun. and loud

THANKS!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
erb

basement walls leak

I don't see any cracks along the bottom of the wall at the floor.
I have no clue how the basement was setup previously.

There is a gutter missing where you can see stains almost above the window, but that's it.

I put dirt around the house, it now slops away from the house. The porch was a problem too; it sloped towards the house. It has yet to rain here since I did it!

I will continue to assess the situation. I hope to just clean the basement and dryloc from this point.

I wasn't going for quality when I took these pics, sorry.

http://wtfisgmail.com/stuff/dsc06911.jpg
http://wtfisgmail.com/stuff/dsc06912.jpg
Old 06-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #15

basement walls leak

The poster above is right... with something like this happening once if it's not sorted properly it can hapen again, and again.

You need to have the job done professionally to stop it.

Or, if your insurance, etc... won't cover it, you could attempt to do it yourself but itr's recommended to use professionals for this kind of thing.

Anyway, see here: Cellar Waterproofing for products to sort it out... that's most likely where any pro would get their stuff from anyway
ChemBuild is offline   Reply With Quote