Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

basement walls

Please help we have just decided to finish out basement (put in a rec room) my husband was watching home improvement and they tell him he needs to put vapour barrier again the block brick wall foundation then 2x4 then fibreglass insulation then vapour barrier again like making a sandwich. I feel that this will only cause a huge issue with moisture being trapped against the outside wall and the plastic wall which would create mold, before it used to be outside wall studded then insulation and vapour barrier, what happened with this method.
Seems wherever I look they say foam insulation to stop all moisture from penetrating thru the block brick foundation please help for the best way to do this without killing my bank account cannot afford any spray foam.

Bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #2

basement walls

You shouldnt need a vapor barrier if you offset the top and bottom plates 2" from the foundation walls.

bbguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #3

basement walls

Looking for a step by step for framing basement walls/2x4's wrong direction/stairs???
bbguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Experienced

basement walls

I am providing a link to show the correct way to insulate a basement wall. You really don't want any vapor barrier at all on a below grade wall, perhaps the show was for an above ground/walkout foundation.

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ent-insulation

Mark
Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #5

basement walls

When you're doing your own basement insulation then I highly recommend you insulate your basement walls with a closed cell foam board like XPS. When properly installed and sealed this option can work almost as well as spray foam and be significantly cheaper.
Scalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #6

basement walls

Welcome to the forum, Bluenose! The last post on page two was pretty good.... LOL.
Read the BSC link that Mark gave and we will answer any questions you have...

Gary