Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #1

Share |

basement walls

I'm developing my basement as and per code, I have to leave a gap of to 1 between the top of all interior basement walls and the floor joists. I live in the priaries in Canada so we have very cold winters and dry summers so the house does "move" a fair bit throughout the year. This is why I'm supposed to leave a gap to accomodate this shifting. My question is this: What is actually moving? Is it the concrete basement floor or the exterior concrete walls (and therefore the enitre house) or both?

Thanks

maljeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #2

basement walls

Nothing is moving. This I have have seen on Holmes show and thought it was dumb. No reason I can see for it.

framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #3

basement walls

Is it actually code?

I do this cause its easy to frame the wall on the ground and tilt it in place.
psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #4

basement walls

It is code in Saskatoon and I have framed it this way but for other reasons I was curious to know what moves, the concrete floor or the the exterior walls?

http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/...lts_to_oud.pdf
maljeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #5

basement walls

I see that it is recommended but not necessarily required. I do not believe there would be any significant movement. What is frost penetration depth in Saskatoon? Regardless, you footing drainage should take away any water causing frost action. The framing will expand and contract, but it does that throughout the entire house, and yet the upper levels and roof come down and meet the walls without a gap.
psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

basement walls

Sounds very similar to the concept required in parts of Colorado and some other areas where they have soil that moves with moisture. Not all footing drainage systems are always effective unless they have a discharge that is not susceptible to freezing.

Much depends on the basement structure also. There is a big different between a reinforced "raft" floating slab that is rigid compared to a system with footings, walls and slabs depending on the soils. Around here, we do have some cold -10F to -25F, but reinforced raft type foundations are rare because of the local soils.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #7

basement walls

How do you fasten the wall to the ceiling joists? Blocks, shims, or you fasten it to the wall?
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikegp For This Useful Post:
aminsmart611 (03-01-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #8

basement walls

Have you asked the question of the Building Department? Only reason I can think of is an expectation that there might be continued settlement of the exterior load bearing walls which is not uncommon for a period after placement of a newly constructed foundation wall. Might have something to do with building in a region that has 30 to 100 ft. of topsoil.
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

basement walls

In that region (and some others), the basement concrete pad (slab) moves (very slightly 1" +/- ) due to frost heaves and/or possible soil compositions.

More Information Here (on floating basement wall construction): http://www.homeadditionplus.com/base...nt%20Walls.htm

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote