Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #1

Share |

Basement wAlls

Be read much about it and wondering what your take is on it.. So I'm going with 2"XPS board on the basement walls. Think I should butt the 2x4's against the foam board or leave the 1" gap people say to do. Also, should I install more insulation in between my studs? Would you?

Stellsbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #2

Basement wAlls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellsbells View Post
Be read much about it and wondering what your take is on it.. So I'm going with 2"XPS board on the basement walls. Think I should butt the 2x4's against the foam board or leave the 1" gap people say to do. Also, should I install more insulation in between my studs? Would you?
Yes, covered here a lot. Goo and tape the seams of the foam. NO air space; it induces convective currents, robbing heat. Sure, put something between the studs if your climate calls for a higher R. Use Roxul or something better than fiberglass; it is the worst. Air seal the outer layer, too (google ADA, or airtight drywall approach); goo bottom and top plates, airtight elect boxes, etc. I'll leave the vapor barrier decision to you. I never would below grade. Good luck.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #3

Basement wAlls

Thanks for the fast reply. Awesome answers. Thanks for your advice. If I have any questions I'll bug ya again.
Stellsbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #4

Basement wAlls

Do search here. Opinions vary.... so do results. It's always your call. If in doubt, see buildingscience.com, greenbuildingadvisor.com, etc, and hope there is a consensus on your particular issue. Not everything is black and white.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote