Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |

basement walls

I have a concrete block foundation (8" block) and was going just built out 1/3rd of it myself that was unfinished... the other 2/3rds of it are finished... the other parts are coming down, as they didn't insulate it in 1/3rd of it and the other remaining part cold air pours in in the winter and it is the only part that is humid in the summer so i'm curious why... but that pat was done by the previous home owner

now its that part i'm asking about, they just built a 2x4 wall infront of it touching the foundation walls with no gaps... shouldn't this require PT wood since its touching the block? the new part I put 1" XPS foam then build a 2x4 wall framed to standard framing pratices then filled the voids in with R-13 unfaced insulation to give me R-18 in total so the untreated wood is never touching the foundation...

could there be water saturating the wood or insulation in this part which makes it so humid? it even has a slight moldy smell to it also...

its drywalled so haven's gotten to it yet to see whats there

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #2

basement walls

I'd just open the wall near the bottom and take a look.
It's sheetrock and easily put back.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #3

basement walls

that's about 100 ft of wall that I don't know whats behind
Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Energy Saver

basement walls

Chances are the paper on the backside of the drywall is covered with mold.

Drywall is cheap and easy to replace. If you're planning on using the space for your man cave or to hang out in, I'd cut a hole in the bottom and check it out.

If you think the moisture is just in this corner of your basement, go outside and make sure your downspouts are connected to extension or PVC pipes that direct water away from your foundation. And make sure the grading near your foundation is directing water away properly.

This may solve the moisture problem in your basement. But you'll still have moldy walls.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #5

basement walls

what about the 2x4's that are untreated touching the foundation walls? I thought wood touching concrete / bock was a huge no-no?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #6

basement walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
that's about 100 ft of wall that I don't know whats behind
I don't get the response, sorry.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #7

basement walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I don't get the response, sorry.
the room has 100 linear feet of wall and im not sure where the cold wind and / or water is coming in at, there is no visible spot... so I was just making a joke about how long the walls are that need opened to take a look
Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #8

basement walls

"now its that part i'm asking about, they just built a 2x4 wall infront of it touching the foundation walls with no gaps... shouldn't this require PT wood since its touching the block?"----------------------------------------

7. Wood furring strips or other wood framing members attached directly to the interior of exterior masonry walls or concrete walls below grade except where an approved vapor retarder is applied between the wall and the furring strips or framing members.
From: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...9_3_sec017.htm

Gary
Old 06-11-2011, 01:03 AM   #9

basement walls

its your house - you do what you want w/it - you got their advice.

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #10

basement walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
"now its that part i'm asking about, they just built a 2x4 wall infront of it touching the foundation walls with no gaps... shouldn't this require PT wood since its touching the block?"----------------------------------------

7. Wood furring strips or other wood framing members attached directly to the interior of exterior masonry walls or concrete walls below grade except where an approved vapor retarder is applied between the wall and the furring strips or framing members.
From: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...9_3_sec017.htm

Gary
thanks!, I bookmarked that site to look up any other code references also!