Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #1

Share |

Basement wall insulating

I have a sandstone basement and I want to finish a small portion of it. My question is: in order to put a wall against this outside wall do I need to put a vapour barrier against the outside wall first, then frame, insulate and vapour barrier again?
Alyson

Alyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Basement wall insulating

No, you do not need a vapor barrier. If it is what is called a "stone rubble" type foundation, it will be hard to insulate. Post some pictures.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Basement wall insulating

You don't need anything between the concrete wall and the insulated framed wall.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #4

Basement wall insulating

one basic rule is that wood framing never goes directly against concrete, always there is a gasket or an air gap. my guess is that it is the same with sandstone (rubble) foundation wall.

due to irregular shape of stone the wall is not flat, so yes hard to insulate. .. but .. spray foam can do wonders here

Knucklez
Old 12-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #5

Basement wall insulating

Canada requires a v.b.

1. Where are you located?

2. Describe the wall make-up from the rocks....

Gary
Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Basement wall insulating

Mike, doesn't the Spray foam get you around the vapor barrier, since it now becomes the vapor barrier, once applied?

I do have a question regarding same subject Mike. If I was to just go one row along the top of my basement with Blue foam, since it sticks about three feet above the ground, what are your thoughts on temp difference. This may be something also that the OP may want to consider, due to how much sticks above the ground, and how much below, since rubble foundations are a pita to finish.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote