DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Basement wall insulating

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gregzoll 
#1 ·
I have a sandstone basement and I want to finish a small portion of it. My question is: in order to put a wall against this outside wall do I need to put a vapour barrier against the outside wall first, then frame, insulate and vapour barrier again?
Alyson

#4 ·
one basic rule is that wood framing never goes directly against concrete, always there is a gasket or an air gap. my guess is that it is the same with sandstone (rubble) foundation wall.

due to irregular shape of stone the wall is not flat, so yes hard to insulate. .. but .. spray foam can do wonders here :)

Knucklez

#5 ·
Canada requires a v.b.

1. Where are you located?

2. Describe the wall make-up from the rocks....

Gary

#6 ·
Mike, doesn't the Spray foam get you around the vapor barrier, since it now becomes the vapor barrier, once applied?

I do have a question regarding same subject Mike. If I was to just go one row along the top of my basement with Blue foam, since it sticks about three feet above the ground, what are your thoughts on temp difference. This may be something also that the OP may want to consider, due to how much sticks above the ground, and how much below, since rubble foundations are a pita to finish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.