Basement Wall Framing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Basement wall framing

I am preparing to refinish my basement to make it warmer in the winter. I have removed the tongue and groove knotty pine pieces that were glued to the poured basement walls. I want to stud the entire area and drywall. Watching DIY videos, they show a 1/2in. gap between the concrete wall and the new framing. I have the following questions.
1) What is the 1/2in. space for?
2) Is the PT sill plate sufficient on the base of wall or should there be a second 2x4 added to that base framework?
3) Would placing heavy plastic on the rear side of the wall framework be of any benefit to the rolled insulation I will be installing?

Advertisement

russelblue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Basement wall framing

As far as I know the 1/2 inch space or more is for better air movement and to acomodate R22 while using 2x4 studs.
Adding another bottom plate would only be needed if you are laying down a thick subfloor and want something to nail your drywall and trim to.
When putting plastic or vapor barrior, remember it always goes on the inside or warm side of your insulation, so I would say, do not do it. another good idea is to roll on an interior concrete sealer if you have any moisture issuses.

Advertisement

Redsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redsy For This Useful Post:
russelblue2 (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Basement wall framing

1) That 1/2" gap is to keep the wood framing off the concrete, not for additional insulation. Not to mention, air flow within batt. insulation negates its effectiveness.

2) Either a single sill or double sill is fine, but P.T. should definately be used for the lower.

3) And you should never put plastic sheeting on the interior side of a basement furring wall.

Here's a plastic faced assembly (note the NOT RECOMMENDED stamp): http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ion-assemblies

This is my recommended assembly for a basement wall: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ion-assemblies

Last edited by AGWhitehouse; 09-15-2011 at 11:06 AM.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AGWhitehouse For This Useful Post:
russelblue2 (09-15-2011)