Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #1

Share |

Basement Wall to Floor Spacer

Ok, this might be an odd question, but here goes:

I am working on cleaning up the look of my basement sone. I have concrete walls and floor, with both having been painted a couple times, and both peeling. I am working to kind of hide that, and also partition the space into useful sections (laundry, 1/2 bath, storage, and work room.) The fllor in my basement is sloped front to back, and side to side down to a drain that is against the front wall of the house, at about the right 1/3rd mark, and coincidentally, right in the middle of the proposed laundry area.

I started working on the wall layout for this area, and was fine til recently when we got several really hard rains, and I figured out exactly where my basement leaked: ALL across the back wall.

I have since located and hopefully mitigated all the water issues outside, but just knowing there is the potential for it to happen again, I was wondering if there was any way to raise the wall up so water could flow under it, or if I just shouldn't worry about it? I am using GarageDeck flooring, so the water can travel under it as needed, but was worried that it could back up at the floor plate of the wall.

Thanks for the help.

jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
General Contractor

Jimmy,

I cut shims from vinyl or pvc fascia.

The box stores sell vinyl trim in 5/16" thick 8' sticks. I have seen different widths. It usually has a cedar print on one side. They are about $15ea, which is not cheap, except that you can rip and cut so many shims from a single stick.

Obviously no warranty for them and not appropriate for a load bearing wall, but they work under a basement furred wall sill plate.

Cheers,

R

Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #3

Ok, didn't think of those. These are not load bearing walls, just partitions to separate spaces.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
General Contractor

Other options:
  1. hold the trim higher off the floor than normal
  2. use wood or plastic trim (no mdf)
  3. caulk/seal the bottom of any door jams before they are set, or at least set them on composite shims
  4. use metal framing, for the usual reasons and because it is less prone to wicking moisture off the floor and into the wall board
  5. fiber glass faced wall board
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #5

Well, I am not really worried about wicking moisture, I'm more worried about flowing water. Since the drain is in the front and where the water comes in in the back, the water flows from the front to the back. I basically don't want the wall to act like a road block and cause the water to back up over the flooring I have. Here is a picture of what I roughed before I had the water issues. You can see the flooring I an using. The water came in from the back of this photo, and the drain is to the bottom corner of the photo. (Yes, I know the bottom 2x3 is not treated. It was a place holder while I decided what to do about that piece, since I can't seem to find a treated 2x3.)