Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement wall crack

Hi! I am a new joiner and professionaly a marine engineer. I like doing things myself. I have a thin vertical crack in my house unfinished basement concrete wall facing backyard and water comes in during heavy rain. Can anybody please tell me what is the best method of repairing this crack. Thankyou.

Last edited by Adnan; 01-20-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Adnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

Basement wall crack

Epoxy injection is commonly used for such a problem. There is a company called Crack-X that does the work, there are probably many others but I don't know their names. The technique is to use a needle to inject low viscosity epoxy into the crack to fully seal it. There are several epoxy companies such as Sika that make special epoxy resins for this purpose, you definitely need a specialty mix since normal viscosity epoxy cannot be injected through a thin needle.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 544

Basement wall crack

Take a trip to the local hardware store and check out the masonry and concrete section...you'll find something made for filling and sealing cracks. You could fill it with epoxy and then seal the entire wall with a waterproofing membrane.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Basement wall crack

Is the home new or are you just a newer owner. Cracks do occur over time, especially in the first year or so.

Both of the suggestions are adequate in the short term.

Do you have drain tile? This reduces or eliminates the moisture that causes hyrdrostatic pressure forcing the water through cracks and voids and also reduces the upward force on the basement slab.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #5

Basement wall crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnan View Post
Hi! I am a new joiner and professionaly a marine engineer. I like doing things myself. I have a thin vertical crack in my house unfinished basement concrete wall facing backyard and water comes in during heavy rain. Can anybody please tell me what is the best method of repairing this crack. Thankyou.
I'm not an expert, but the epoxy resins are for use in poured concrete walls or floors. If this is cinderblock construction, the epoxy or aquaphobic polyurethane method will not work.

If you have cinderblock or similar construction, the only way I am aware of that will work is to excavate outside the foundation then waterproof from the outside-in.

The polyurethane or epoxy method is good for cracks up to about 1/2 inch or so. If the crack is significantly larger, you must first address the structural issue before addressing the crack and leakage therefrom.

Lastly, you also need to determine HOW the water is getting to the wall, and prevent that from happening. You can fix a crack with some super-duper method, only to find another crack or re-injury to the repaired crack due to the hydraulic forces from the water.

I am only aware of the above items because I am facing exactly what you are facing, and I visited the manufacturer to get more information and advice before attempting the repair myself. I was called out of town before I was able to attempt the repair, so I am merely regurgitating the information I was given to the best of my recollection.
Wino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Basement wall crack

All repairs are much easier, cheaper, long lasing and reliable if you have drain tile (interior, exterior or both).

Do you have drain tile?

How old is the home and what is the wall constructed from? You will not find cinder block in your area, unless it is quite old.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,202

Basement wall crack

personally i like hydrophyllic polyurethane grout in this instance,,, IF belowgrade, you can wtrproof it from the outside w/ ( we use sonneborn's sonolastic ) a trowelable asphalt foundation coating,,, IF the wtr intrusion's from the wall btm, that's probably lots of digging.

if you don't feel up to it as obviously describing it in an online forum's MUCH easier than doing the work, yellow page ' concrete repairs '

just my pro opinion - this is our work ! good luck !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:27 AM   #8

Basement wall crack

sorry - couldn't remember last nite who to recommend for mtls other'n a const supply house,,, try http://www.emecole.com - they're diy friendly

no financial interest &, of course, there're many others on the mkt,,, we use a plews grease for small jobs.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #9

Basement wall crack

Emecole and their hydrophobic polyurethane is what I'm using. I was afraid if I mentioned a supplier it might be considered advertising. I have no financial interest in them, but if their stuff works like they claim, and I have no reason to believe it won't, then maybe I'll buy some of their stock if they're publicly traded.
Wino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #10

Basement wall crack

I recently used the emecole urethane kit. Worked exactly as advertised. I now have a dry basement. Good luck.
deejclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #11

Basement wall crack

Wino - did the Emecole kit work for you too? We just found it, but were not having much luck finding reviews from anyone. The crack in our basement goes all the way to the floor and we were not looking forward to digging that deep to repair it from the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino View Post
Emecole and their hydrophobic polyurethane is what I'm using. I was afraid if I mentioned a supplier it might be considered advertising. I have no financial interest in them, but if their stuff works like they claim, and I have no reason to believe it won't, then maybe I'll buy some of their stock if they're publicly traded.
shawnandjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 526

Basement wall crack

I had a couple of vertical cracks in my poured concrete foundation. One thing the pro told me when I was searching for the crack, is that if its a vertical crack in a poured wall, it will crack all the way from top to bottom. He was right. My point is that if all you see is a few feet of crack, you will be fixing it again. I had mine profesionally repaired and they did it from the outside. I expect there is a goop on the wall, but then they covered it with a hard plastic.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #13

Basement wall crack

you'll need a hammer drill, ' bang ports ', zerk grease fittings, plews grease gun, & some quik-set epoxy to seal the crk after which you should plan on flushing crk w/wtr THEN we inject the grout,,, think you'd be able to follow eme's directions easily - if not, he's got an 800# & is very willing to help amateurs.

can't recommend which ( dig or inject ) is the preferr'd method - depends on several factors divided by $$$ as is more everything in life