Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Ventilation/ air flow

I just finished my basement and on the final inspecion the building inspector asked about fresh air/ oxygen flow in the basement. The finished are in my basement is completely below grade and has no windows. I did install a "sani dry" system that removes humidity and circulates clean air. Is this enough or do I need to allow "new, fresh" air to come in some way.

J D T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,256

Probably not. If the inspector is stating that you need combustion air for the hvac & water heater, your choice is either get direct vent high efficiency, or change over to electric.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is the first time I have ever heard of a finished basement without egress windows approved by an Inspector. Or are there no bedrooms and one exterior (egress) door?

Where are you located?

Gary
Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Just finished a walk out basement. As I recall, you need a minimum amount of ventilation (fresh air, measured in sq ft of open glass or doorway). Its a percentage of habitable space, though for the life of me I dont remember what it was.

May have something to do with fire.

GBR...must be a ventilation section in the code book.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...9_3_sec003.htm

I’m much more interested in his meeting this, IF it applies: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...9_3_sec010.htm

Gary