Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Basement utility area

Hi everyone, I frequent these forums and usually find what I'm after, but this one has got me scratching my head, and was hoping someone could provide some insight.

I'm finishing my basement and my plan is to have a larger finished portion (with TV and such) and an unfinished portion (for my workbench and storage). My furnace, water heater and such will be in the unfinished side close to the finished/unfinished partitioning walls.

Here is a rough layout...

My plan is that there would be fiberglass insulation between the studs (paper backing towards finished side), I didn't plan on putting drywall up on the inside of the wall (unfinished side) but maybe using some OSB to support the air return. Should I be worried about anything in terms of a fire risk? The reason I started thinking about this is because I was going to use some of that foil board for the air return and then saw the warnings about do not place near fire source and that got me to thinking... maybe I don't want to burn my house down as part of this project. Should I be concerned about the fiberglass/OSB?

Thanks!
steve533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #2

Basement utility area

All I see is a red "X". No layout.
I'd use unfaced insulation. No need for a vapor barrier in the middle of conditioned space.
The furnace and Hot water heater have a clearance restriction around them. For both access and combustion. For walls and ceilings close to these, I'd use 5/8" firecode sheetrock. Away from the area, whatever you want.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #3

Basement utility area

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreenmike View Post
If you want really good answers then share some pics and accurate measurement in details.
Looks like you couldn't see the picture either... interesting, shows up for me. Can you see this?
Name:  utility.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  10.0 KB
Old 10-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #4

Basement utility area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The furnace and Hot water heater have a clearance restriction around them. For both access and combustion.
I should be good from a clearance perspective, I've got 3" behind and the minimum is 0", I've got 10" to the left and the minimum is 1".
Old 10-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #5

Basement utility area

Are you sure this furnace is installed with the correct clearances? The 3" space seems a little tight. Actually the 10" space looks tight, the 3" space, really tight.
Just checked. Looks okay from this:

install clearances for g40uh in upflow position

UP-FLOW POSITION

Sides 0 in. (0 mm)
Rear 0 in. (0 mm)
Top 1 in. (25 mm)
Front 3 in. (76 mm)
Front (service/alcove) 24 in. (610 mm)
Floor Combustible
Flue 6 in. (152 mm)

Last edited by Ron6519; 10-30-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #6

Basement utility area

Don't forget if any of your appliances use combustion air within that space,unfinished room dimensions need sufficient cubic feet of air for the BTU ratings of these appliances.If not your access doors to the mechanical room will need to be louvred.
spring3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #7

Basement utility area

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve533 View Post
Hi everyone, I frequent these forums and usually find what I'm after, but this one has got me scratching my head, and was hoping someone could provide some insight.

I'm finishing my basement and my plan is to have a larger finished portion (with TV and such) and an unfinished portion (for my workbench and storage). My furnace, water heater and such will be in the unfinished side close to the finished/unfinished partitioning walls.

Here is a rough layout...

My plan is that there would be fiberglass insulation between the studs (paper backing towards finished side), I didn't plan on putting drywall up on the inside of the wall (unfinished side) but maybe using some OSB to support the air return. Should I be worried about anything in terms of a fire risk? The reason I started thinking about this is because I was going to use some of that foil board for the air return and then saw the warnings about do not place near fire source and that got me to thinking... maybe I don't want to burn my house down as part of this project. Should I be concerned about the fiberglass/OSB?

Thanks!
I would use ROXUL in the Basement,it is moisture and mold resistant,and BONUS... a batt for 3 1/2 inch,16 on center boards gives you R-15,versus R-13 for icky fiberglass.
spring3100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement utility