Basement Tile Before Framing. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement tile before framing.

I am going to start finishing the basement. I have a little experience in framing, (although this will be my first basement) and i worked for a contractor doing sheetrock and painting, so I was confident that I could handle most of the work myself. I was planning on finding someone to do the tile floor and electrical though as I don't know enough to do it. My problem now is that my roommate hired a guy to do tile (someone in his reserve unit), and didn't inform me, and has the guy coming in just three days. Would it be okay to just put down the floor plates, and have the guy do the tile before i finish framing? I understand that there is a chance that I could break tiles while doing work etc. but if anything happens the repairs costs are on him. Is this that crazy of an idea.

Advertisement

Aguynameded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

Just cancel the tile guy. If you have a choice you should always do ceiling & walls before the floor, and in this case you have a choice. Tiles being installed should mean you're wrapping up a project, not just getting it started.

Advertisement

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fetzer85 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

Lets put it this way.....say you planned to put a new engine in your car and also wanted to paint it....would you paint it first or do the engine first?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I have been arguing that point all week. I think that the guy he hired has been telling him he will be fine so he can get the work, and he is more inclined to listen to him since they are in the same unit/ military buddies.
Aguynameded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

Well if friendship alone got things done my house would look a lot better than it does. Seriously, tell him you want him to do the job but not now. If he keeps pressuring you then to hell with it, find someone else. This part isn't supposed to be hard! lol
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Been reading this as it progressed. If you are going to be the GC then take charge and schedule your subs by your timeline and not theirs. You really don't want to have a floor down before drywall, spackle and paint.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 278

i'll be in the minority here....if you can verify his work, and he really needs the job, see how much of a discount you can get.

putting down plywood/cardboard and taping the seams/edges is not really a big deal and major construction is done with finished floors all the time.

optimal, no....but if you can save 50+ percent on labor....i'd probably take the deal.

and yes, all you need are the bottom plates down and watch your door rough openings to account for jack studs (not really a big deal in the end)...

and if you do this get ready to get really good at toe nailing.

Advertisement

jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
framing , tile