Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #1

Share |

Basement telepost rusted.

Hello all and thanks in advance for any help.

We're having a house built and its 3 weeks before the possession date. Not all to happy with the builder, but really, who is. Anyhow, the basement had about 2ft. worth of water from later October to early January, around 2.5 months. Its a 2 story and has 3 teleposts holding up the main beam (which is wooden). I had communicated to the builder my concern that teleposts were not meant to stand in water as there was a noticeable rust buildup. My complaints were early and abundant and lastly ignored. Now they've just poured the basement floor and the footings of the teleposts are covered. I had not thought that teleposts would become a permanent fixture of the house, but would be removable. Now I need a jackhammer if I would like to replace them.

My concern is with the rust I had noticed on the telepost footings beforehand. Is it worth fighting for to have the builder replace the teleposts or can it be safely ignored? The teleposts do look new so I think the rust is at its initial phases. Then again basement floors are wet'ish which would just induce more rust buildup.

I'm somewhat ignorant of these things as I work with computers. But my geeky logic says you have a telepost that is not meant to be submerged, submerged for over 2 months, rusting, footings covered under a couple of inches of concrete, holding up a 2 story home with my family inside. I need some peace of mind so I can sleep better.

Again, thanks for any help.
britez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Experienced

Just clean the rust from the surface, paint and don't worry, the post will be there far longer the you or I.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

As long as the posts are set the correct way (screw jack at the bottom) and the tube portion is above the floor, I wouldn't be overly concerned. The screw is typically 1"+ diameter, and will require more than surface rust to cause failure. How about a picture?
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #4

They are a bit far away, forgot to take close ups. One is before the floor and the other afterwards.

Thanks,

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement telepost rusted.-img_0972-1024x768-.jpg   Basement telepost rusted.-img_0950-1024x768-.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

I would be more worried about the cause of the water and if there is any drainage (drain tile) and a sump with a sump pump for the same thing to happen again.

The slop in the basement area might eventually be a soil capable of a decent floor support if it ever dried out.

It looks like the post may have had a decent foundation under it.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
britez (01-17-2011)
Old 01-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #6

Hard to tell in the finished picture of what it looks like. Your concerns should weigh in on how thick the walls of the steel post is. The post does look a little undersized however thickness of the sq.tube is more crucial. No way of knowing unless you drill a small hole and can see the thickness of the material. 1/4 inch thick would be great, 1/16 inch not so great. I really wouldnt think you will ever have a problem.Once concrete is poured it dispels the water,I have seen bare steel encased in concrete for 20 years outside with only a slight rust coat. Where steel usually rusts away is right on top of the concrete if not protected. No way would I bust up concrete for this concern. Worst case scenerio I would just weld a piece around the post where it contacts the slab so then it would be like a base plate.

Last edited by fabricator; 01-17-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
fabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fabricator For This Useful Post:
britez (01-17-2011)
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #7

I met some nice guys from your area in Flin Flon MB, Canada doing some serious fishing. You by chance not one of them? The fish in your picture look Lake Trout'sh to me, which is a prime target in the Flin Flon area.

Back to the house, the slop you see is from a late fall rain and 2.5 months worth of soak time. All basements under construction had a similar situation, so I do not think its a reason for concern. Most basements were pumped out earlier, and as earlier posted, I did complain. Builders are builders around here. I've made as sure as I can that the weeping tile system was in sound shape and properly fitted to the sump pump. We understand that there will be a fair amount of drying time required and will be setting up a dehumidifier in the basement when we move in.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #8

The last post was meant for "concretemasonry" as I saw a fish in his hands. Still learning the ins and outs of this forum, the reason for the thanks to certain members and not to others.

I've asked the same question to some of the locals who do similar trades and I'm getting a consistent answer to the one's on this forum.

I sincerely thank you all for your help.

Tags
basement telepost rust